jpowell79

swapping a crank sensor and cam sensor - how to guide anyone?

Am getting ready to swap out my crankshaft sensor and cam sensor tonight or tomorrow.

Struggling to see how to do this from the bentley manual. Does anyone have a howto guide to do this, or point me to the right pages of the bentley manual?

At the moment I don't even know 100% where the sensors are! Am guessing they are somewhere near the coil pack, but this is just a guess.

cheers :-)

Both are held in with just a small allen head bolt.

The cam sensor is behind the coilpack, so remove this and you'll see the sensor. The Crank sensor is on the front of the engine and has to be accessed from under neath. It sites just near the oil filter housing, again held in by an allen head bolt - its fiddly to get to.

What size allen key is needed to change the Crank sensor? I tried mine a while ago and the bolt seemed to be rounded off. (+I couldn't get my Irwins to dig in)

Shed loads - from cam sensors, timing chains etc... about 86 guides / info etc... available to club members, there are also around 40 + compaines we have arrangements with to get cheaper parts, including TPS and some VW dealerships! and your usual cheaper insurance etc....

full details of what companies are on board here - http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?338293.0

What size allen key is needed to change the Crank sensor? I tried mine a while ago and the bolt seemed to be rounded off. (+I couldn't get my Irwins to dig in)

i think its size 7, but with dirty in the allen bolt could make it slip and round off.