timthetinyhorse

Draining coolant

I need to change my blue temp sender so I figure I might aswell change the coolant at the same time so I have a couple of questions......

1. Where is the best place to drain from and do I need to turn the engine over to drain all of the fluid?

2. What is the procedure when filling to avoid air locks?

3. Is there anything else I should change when doing this job?

4. Is G3 the best stuff to use and what's the concentration reccomended?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

1) The best place would probably be the lowest part, so bottom of the rad, it will be messy and there is a lot of fluid in there. 9 litres of it!

2) I'm not sure on the filling to be honest, I just shoved mind in via the expansion tank and allowed it to settle. Ran the engine for a bit but kept an eye on the levels and kept topping it up.

3) Again, not sure on this one.

4) G13 is the new stuff from VW, the parts guy at my local dealers told me that the name change is due to it being manufactured in a different location. Having just put new coolant in mine, I've gone for a 50/50 mix, but you'd be ok with a 60/40.

Hope some of this helps.

Mark

Filling from the expansion tank alone will take a while as the thermostat will be closed so you could stick some in the top of the rad as well (being careful not to crack the plastic when you take off the hose).

I used two bottles of G12++ and one of Water Wetter, so pretty much 60/40 as Mark said.

Other stuff you could do is replace the thermostat or rad fan switch if you suspect there's a problem. If you're feeling brave you could even inspect the fins on the main coolant pump in the block! Bit of a pain though as it will foul on the bodywork unless the engine is lifted a few inches.

There's no need to turn the engine over when draining, if you want to flush as much of the old coolant out as possible then run some water through the system and let it drain straight out.

The coolant you should be using is G12+ (which is red in colour) Most motorfactors autocat will tell them to give you G3 or G13 which is green, this is incorrect.

Fill from the top of the rad until it is full and then top up via the expansion tank.

When people say top of rad. Do you mean pour into the rad. Or down the hose that pulls off the rad. Goes to the thermo housing.

I installed a small stopcock on my (aluminium) crack pipe and do it from there, with a bit of hose to drop it into the bucket. VW advise draining it from the crack pipe petcock and aim the flow away from the subframe by twisting the crack pipe :lol: Don't do this, you'll snap it at the water pump end...

The rad itself.

Ive always filled from the top rubber hose as then it goes through the housing etc making it less likely to have an airlock. done it that way loads of times and never had a problem