G60radoboi

De-cat exhaust and MOT test?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Due to the age of the car does it still need to pass emmisions test at MOT? Thinking of replacing the exhaust system at some point and de-cat would be a good idea.

thats a good question! i would be keen to find out too.

what year is yours?

i was of the thought that if the vehicle has a CAT then it will always need one to pass MOT but hopefully someone in the know can clarify

I think 1992/J is the last year you can have the cat removed. K onwards it's needed.

I asked this of the garage that does my tests. They're happy to put it through the test without the cat but it still has to pass the same emissions limits.

It was running very clean at the last test so I'm interested to see how it goes minus the cat.

Edited by nrc

I asked this of the garage that does my tests. They're happy to put it through the test without the cat but it still has to pass the same emissions limits.

interesting!! i wonder what the difference in emission levels are when a VR6 runs with CAT & then without.....anyone?

interesting!! i wonder what the difference in emission levels are when a VR6 runs with CAT & then without.....anyone?

Surely can't be worse than my van and even that can get within limits for more modern vehicles!

Good thread. Already done this on my Golf, mind you its a TDi so the emissions are not a problem - it has passed last 3 MOT's with no problem. How sure are you about that rule Jim? Ones I'm looking at are all H/J reg so should get away with removing the cat and letting the engine sing :D

Assuming I'm reading this VOSA document correctly, Corrado VR6s first used (registered?) after 01/08/1992 are subject to these limits:

0.5% CO at idle, 200 PPM HC at 2500-2800rpm

Given Kev's figures in the older thread it might not pass after all :)

The regulations changed early last year. If the car left the factory with a cat then it should be failed in the MOT if one is not present:

[h=4]MOT Test of Exhaust and Emissions[/h]The exhaust system will fail the MOT if:

• Part of the system missing or excessively deteriorated
  • A catalytic converter is missing where one was fitted as standard (on vehicles subject to a full cat test only)
  • Mounting are missing or damaged so that the exhaust system is insecure
  • There is a major leak
  • The system emits appreciably more noise than a similar vehicle fitted with a standard system in good condition.
  • Class (v): Exhaust tailpipe positioned so that fumes are liekly to enter the driver or passenger area.

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-general-information/mot-information-for-motorists/mot-test-checks-list-continued

The regulations changed early last year. If the car left the factory with a cat then it should be failed in the MOT if one is not present:

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-general-information/mot-information-for-motorists/mot-test-checks-list-continued

thanks portent, great info!!

Bugger!!! looks like an expensive hi-flow CAT it is then $$$ :(

I would only decat if I was replacing the whole exhaust, because sport cats are expensive. I think it might be useful for cars with turbos more than naturally aspirated engines (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Save your money as I really dont think they make much difference.

I had heard that coullstar but wasnt sure without seeing figures

exhausts for vr6's seems a nightmare at present & ive been looking on/off for a few months :(

G60Radoboi where abouts in London are you? I had my exhaust done at a garage in St Albans, company called EMP Performance. They do a very good job of making custom exhausts. Made my Golf sound like this:

Well I fitted a standard CAT to my decatted 24v car and it made no difference. If your chasing every last iota of power then maybe worth it.

Well I fitted a standard CAT to my decatted 24v car and it made no difference. If your chasing every last iota of power then maybe worth it.

OK thanks m8, much appreciated! Oooo the pending decisions lol

---------- Post added at 4:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:26 PM ----------

G60Radoboi where abouts in London are you? I had my exhaust done at a garage in St Albans, company called EMP Performance. They do a very good job of making custom exhausts. Made my Golf sound like this:

Hi Yega

Hope you dont mind me asking but what price did your custom exhaust come in at?

I have spoke to turbo thomas in redditch, where i live & who made the exhaust for our van at vantasialtd, & he estimated around £700 ish mark :s

If I remember right it was around £350. That's from the manifold down (keeping original manifold), including the flexipipe (downpipe) and a choice of any tip I wanted (went for the R32 style as you can see in the video). They used a 3.5" pipe all the way along. Drop them an email stating what you are after and see what they say.

I am in NW London YEGA. Yeah I don't feel like spending big mony when it comes to exhaust and I am in no rush to do it yet, unless it fails emmisions in September lol.

Sounds fair.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but for all you guys in W/NW London and the surrounding area there is a VAG meet once a month in High Wycombe. I will post the details of it nearer the time in the Events section of this forum so keep an eye out. Would love to have more Corrados. We have 2 atm.

If you take the CAT off, then I don't think your car will pass the MOT.

Since the MOT system is now all computerised, as soon as they put your car reg into the system it will show the tester that a emissions test/CAT test is required. That's how I understand it anyway.