Yega

Supercharger blanking plate

While at UD I came by the OCD (Only Charged Dubs) stand and bought myself one of their blanking plates. I had a brief chat to the guy about it but wanted to ask on here if there are negative effects of fitting these? As far as I gather it stops the hot air going out of the supercharger back into the engine, which is a good thing. Other effects are mainly noise related, which I am looking forward to trying out.

Sorry, should have qualified that better. Yes its replacing the boost return pipe.

Then I think the problem with doing this mod is that it's eliminating the chargers self lubrication system, as the returned boost contains a little oil vapour which helps keep the charger lubricated. Without it you have to manually lubricate the charger every month or so (I think). Personally I wouldn't go near it - a pointless modification really.

I'd honestly look into sensible performance modifications but leave stuff like that well alone. Just my 2p :)

This is the kind of feedback I am looking for Jim, so thank you :)

I did buy a can of some special grease with it that the bloke said you need to spray on there regularly. It does sound like a bit of faff. I might just put it on for a bit to try and see what its like but I think you're right, its all a bit pointless.

Just knowing how much a replacement charger is, modifications like that make me very sceptical. I'd risk a slightly smaller pulley but beyond that I'd leave it alone - leave the standard airbox, standard paper filter, and concentrate on other modifications like remap and bigger intercooler. My old G60 put out a solid 207BHP with just those modifications :)

Wow! I think this has been remapped already but I am planning a trip up to Jabba to get it checked out. Could you tell me more about this intercooler please?

Well the Corrado G60 has a tiny intercooler that sits down the front of the wing - it looks like a shoebox! The Golf G60 had a much larger front mounted intercooler that sat between the radiator and the grille. It's way more efficient, doesn't suffer heatsoak as badly, etc etc. Problem is trying to find one and they're not cheap :)

But as I say my car had the Golf G60 intercooler, 68mm pulley, remap and 3.5bar fuel pressure regulator and was a consistent 207BHP/187lbft. Went very nicely :)

In terms of remaps, try talking to Stealth Racing or DG Autotech!

This is the kind of feedback I am looking for Jim, so thank you :)

I did buy a can of some special grease with it that the bloke said you need to spray on there regularly. It does sound like a bit of faff. I might just put it on for a bit to try and see what its like but I think you're right, its all a bit pointless.

I've run a twin inlet kit for a good while now (removes the boost-return, so sort of the same in that sense).. I spray the charger with the spray about once a month or so, and never had any problems..

Is it Würth HHS grease you've got?

I cant tell you wormy as its being send out to me in the post. The guy didn't have any more at the stand at UD. But the HHS bit rings a bell.

Where do you spray this grease? Would I need to remove the blanking plate or any other part to do it?

@Jim - thank you for that list. I believe my car already has the 68mm pulley and a remap, as well as the Stage 4 charger. If I make it to the next meet maybe you could take it for a spin and see if it behaves like expected from those mods.

Edited by Yega

Been a while since I owned my G60 but sure thing - be good to see how it drives!

Not sure how much work I'll get done on it by then but there are bits that need fixing so don't expect anything fantastic :p

I cant tell you wormy as its being send out to me in the post. The guy didn't have any more at the stand at UD. But the HHS bit rings a bell.

Where do you spray this grease? Would I need to remove the blanking plate or any other part to do it?

@Jim - thank you for that list. I believe my car already has the 68mm pulley and a remap, as well as the Stage 4 charger. If I make it to the next meet maybe you could take it for a spin and see if it behaves like expected from those mods.

Take of the blanking plate, and spray in at idle - that's what I was told - and what I did.

3x 1 seconds bursts at idle iirc. Anyone that can confirm? :)

Thanks wormy, that does't sound too bad if its just that once a month. What happens to the other end where the return pipe connects to? Does that need some sort of plate too or can it just stay open?

It can stay open - or you can fit a KN-filter. The hole is ~44mm in diameter iirc. No matter what you do, don't block it!

It'll make some noises though, some like them, some don't.

At idle and part-throttle, all the un-needed boost will be blown out of the hole, so there's no chance anything can enter.

At full throttle, the boost-return is closed, so nothing can enter.

Here's my old engine, revving it..

Sound when driving..

That sounds pretty nice. So thats with the blanking plate and the KN filter on the other end fitted? I'm guessing that would just be a cone filter right?

That sounds pretty nice. So thats with the blanking plate and the KN filter on the other end fitted? I'm guessing that would just be a cone filter right?

I had a twin inlet (a second intake filter instead of the blanking plate you got), and nothing on the other end - i left it open.

If you want a filter, they have it f.ex. here; http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/breather-filters/kn-filters-breather-filter

The 44mm version

No no no!

Don't believe the hype about the boost return supposedly 'lubricating the charger'! It's rubbish! The boost return pipe is there for returning emissions/unused boost back into the intake and nothing else!

You don't have to spray anything into your charger, and if you do, it will simply collect in big clumps and if anything, actually restrict/ruin any porting you have had done.

Neil.

No no no!

Don't believe the hype about the boost return supposedly 'lubricating the charger'! It's rubbish! The boost return pipe is there for returning emissions/unused boost back into the intake and nothing else!

You don't have to spray anything into your charger, and if you do, it will simply collect in big clumps and if anything, actually restrict/ruin any porting you have had done.

Neil.

I'm just going on all the stuff I'd heard / read on here over the years. Googling around seems to be a lot of posts which suggest the boost return does help lubricate the charger, so I'm not alone in that train of thought.

For example: http://forums.speedarena.com/showthread.php?5927908-G60-boost-return&p=80330745

Edited by Jim

It's all come from people who used to sell the 'special lubricant' Jim, one person in particular used to push it a lot, and well we all know what kind of person he ended up being...

The charger bearings are lubricated by the line from the cylinder head and that's all it needs. There's nothing to lubricate inside the charger casing. Spraying anything in the intake of the charger simply collects at the top of the charger (When pushed there by the outside of the scroll) and gets nowhere near the inner apex strips that don't need lubricating anyway, especially not by a heavily breathing engine ventilation.

It would have been really poor of Vw to rely on a brand new engine breathing heavily to lubricate anything, especially as it's not regulated, and will change with age. But as I say, there's nothing in there to lubricate.

EDIT: An old, old! video, but still worth a watch for those who have never seen it.

Edited by Riley

Thanks for the info Neil. So simply put, the blanking plate can be fitted and just left alone?

Well of course the decision is yours :thumbleft: It's true that there are lots and lots of posts and people who will tell you that you should spray things into your charger, but I've never personally come across any Vw documentation mentioning scroll/displacer lubrication. There is documentation about venting unused boost which also carries emissions back through the charger instead of venting to atmosphere (Illegal to vent crankshaft emissions to atmos).

If it's anything to go by, I've just checked my own history and my charger was last rebuilt in 2005! lol.

With a 65mm pulley it initially reads way off the scale (15psi boost gauge) before the isv vents off.

Before that, on the 68mm pulley it used to hit bang on 15psi.

Years ago I tried the lubricating thing to see what the crack was, and it just didn't seem right to me. I ended up stripping my charger after a while and cleaning out all the accumulated crap that I'd sprayed in there, it was all built up and rendered the porting absolutely pointless.

But again, the decision is yours mate.:thumbleft: I hope I don't come across like I'm shooting people down or anything, I just don't like to see how some people (Edit: Not aimed at anybody here) in the Vw scene can say something and everybody instantly takes it as gospel.

One good example is somebody swore blind that the standard G60 camshaft was the absolute best option for the G60 over the likes of Schrick/Piper/Newmans...Until they started selling the Schrick camshaft of course.

Neil.

Edited by Riley

Would love to hear Yan's take on this just out of my own curiosity as he's pretty knowledgable about this kind of stuff and does have an arsenal of old VW tech documentation and manuals to hand.