northG60

G60 RSR bolt Torn my thread.

Hi all

just looking to get some input for this

On Monday i was driving on boost at about 15 PSI (felt it come off boost suddenly) and the RSR outlet itself came away from the charger outlet lucky i was very close to home so i got it home straight away to find that the RSR securing bolt had taken some of the thread away from the charger outlet pic attached

Now i used the same bolt which was originally from the standard silencer and used it for my BAR-TEK RSR, which im guessing is a bit fatter than the original part so giving less thread to tap?

Im thinking of using a longer M8 bolt and using spacers where necessary to get a greater hold into the thread....just a little scared that if this happens again it could mean allot of hassle taking charger out, tapping a larger thread ect

has anyone had this happen to them ?

cheers guys

Hello mate,

Yes you could use a longer 8mm bolt but you've still got the risk of the bolt pulling too much on the thread and stripping them completely.

I've had something like that before, what I did was drill out the thread then retap and fit a helicoil which is a stainless new spiral replacement thread,

which will when fitted correctly still allow the original bolt to fit in,

plus the helicoil is normally a stronger thread than the original.

I've got to fit a helicoil to the O/S/F inner anti roll bar bolt hole, as the threads in that have gone coursing the anit roll bar to move and knock slightly,

I'm going to do that one weekend when the sun comes back out.

You might be able to fit a helicoil to the thread that has gone on yours,

you normally fit them with a little of thread lock so the helicoil shouldn't come out once it's fitted in.

That's the only thing with alloy threads they do tend to strip if tightened too much.

You can buy the helicoil kits for around £15.00 to £30.00 on Ebay,

but you need to know what pitch the thread is on the bolt to match it,

if it's a 8mm bolt on a VW it should be a 1mm pitch or 1.25mm pitch thread.

Hope this helps.

Si :thumbleft: