Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

timing chain replacement?

does anybody have any idea how much it is roughly to replace a timing chain as i hear it is an all mighty job. My C is on 95K at the moment and need to start investigating it I think.

When are they liable to go also?

cheers

paul

does anybody have any idea how much it is roughly to replace a timing chain as i hear it is an all mighty job. My C is on 95K at the moment and need to start investigating it I think.

When are they liable to go also?

cheers

paul

You will hear it alot sooner before it breaks mate - if engine sounds fine just keep changing that oil regularly - its all hype that they need doing at 100k miles.... have seen some engines with nearly double that on original chains..... it just depends on how its been looked after - if been pushed from cold then the chains tend to stretch - engine will start to clatter before it breaks.

Its a big job to replace but by no means impossible - to give you a rough idea I was quoted £400 for the job to be done including new chains and tensioners... if down south expect a bit higher than that.

If you are going to do it yourself - yep its a big job - a weekender type of thing and the box has to come right out.

Scott.

cheers much.

will just keep my ears open then!

Engine sounds fine and goes great.

Has full VW service except last one and was bought from uncle 2 months ago.

cheers

paul