J-ME

Coolant loss and light, and oil pressure buzzer

Even once I've topped it up with water, the light flashes, and last night after I hooned it a bit not racing my mates mk2 rocco the oil pressure light came on with a horrible buzzer turned he car off whilst driving and flicked it back on and it's out, then back on, turn it off and on, stays out for twenty mins, then comes back on, also the coolant probably lasts 50-60 milesish and the bottle is proper empty?

Please tell me it's not head gasket

Sounds like head gasket, what you have to remember is that's not a oil level low light, but an oil pressure low light. So it's saying you have poor oil pressure, does the car smoke a lot? Can you see any signs of water leaking from your car? Also is there any water in the oil? There doesn't have to be as it could be blowing straight past a bore. I does sound like that anyway

Worth investigating further before narrowing it down to HG. Find out if you have sprung a water leak anywhere. Look around pipes, pipe clanmps, water pump, heater matrix hoses etc etc to see if you can find any evidence of leakage. You'll get the crystallised coolant and "snail trails" that will point toward a leak. For oil pressure, worth checking the pressure sensors on the oil cooler housing, as they are known to go. Lastly drop the sump, the pickup may well be blocked slightly with crud. On my valver, the baffle in the sump that attaches to the pickup, had broken clips. It would tilt back and forward and occasionally cause the alarm to go off by blocking off the pickup slightly.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the oil cooler itself - from my experience it's usually the culprit when you get a loss of water and oil at the same time. Much cheaper and easier than taking your engine apart too.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Oil buzzer is high/low pressure, but one thing that can cause this is not enough oil in the sump to be picked up and maintain pressure in the system.

Edited by tony_ack

Right so I ran it up to temp, with a board underneath the engine, 1 minor leak from the bottom rad hose, and another one I can't quite trace but it's coming from behind the engine where is the thermo housing?

Whilst it was running I did see some water/ condensation in the zorst, and moist floor, but that looks and seems to be the heat bringing the moist out of my gravel drive it doesn't smell coolanty is there anyone in east Anglia that is a kr engine know a lot?