G_Dub

Right alternator for my 1992 2.0 16v?

I was told by an auto electrician that I needed a new alternator ages ago and I've just got around to sorting it now.

I was going to buy this as it seemed very reasonably priced but the bit about it accepting the 6 rib belt has slightly confused me. My current alternator belt isn't ribbed it's toothed (is that a word!).

So a couple of questions really. Is this the right alternator? If so would I need to also buy a 6 rib alternator belt? Or would I change the pulley?

I thought I had it sussed but this has thrown me into doubt so any help appreciated. I have used the search function at length but as you can imagine, everyone has had all different problems when fitting an alternator but I couldn't see any posts to help me.

I too have 2l 16v 9A. My car alternator has a V belt as opposed to a flat belt. Yes it appears to have teeth but it is not a toothed belt! A toothed belt works like a chain, with each link/tooth being positively located on the driver and driven wheels and responsible for the drive. The flat belt/our v belt relies on friction to transmit the drive between the 2 pulley wheels. A ribbed belt is a type of flat belt that has several ribs along its length: thats not what is fitted to my 9A.

As for your alternator, you seem to have forgotten the attachment or link?????????

Thanks for that reply.

As for your alternator, you seem to have forgotten the attachment or link?????????

The word 'this' is hyperlinked!

So I presume I'd keep my existing belt and change the pulley over off my old alternator onto the new one?

That hyperlink was too clever for me

I dont think I can help. A quick search tells me early KR/9A had a 65 amp alternator and later 90 amp: both were Bosch. My own car has a recon Lucas. The one you show is 70 amp. Someone else may know about the pulley issue (for all I know it may be that cars with AC have this pulley/belt arrangement). I am suspicious when its listed for corrado but has the wrong pulley-I've never bought an alternator and had to change the pulley. It may not fit the corrado bracket? I think it may be for the 8v 2l corrado.

I can see why it interests you-it seems cheap compared with others. I found some that look correct for £140/160.

Someone must have done a replacement recently and can offer an opinion.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-1-8-2-0-88-95-ALTERNATOR-CORRADO-GOLF-JETTA-PASSAT-A561F-/310549344847?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item484e2ef24f looks correct

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALTERNATOR-VW-CORRADO-1987-1995-LRA00563-/190695683348?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW%7CModel%3ACorrado&hash=item2c66593514 This is the correct part no of the Lucas unit fitted to my car and is 65 amp LRA 563 (note the advert says its new but doesnt say it is Lucas)

Edited by bmwcompact

My 9a has a V (or toothed belt), and I have some spares (sorry if not allowed mods) but they don't have pulleys. I've made a special tool to change a pulley though!

Ok I'm thinking that alternator I linked isn't the right one. Just trying to save some money. I'll probably end up buying one of those two suggested alternators...the £119 one looks right on the pic. Thanks for the replies.