JJasonJJ

VR6 Turbo- to forge or not to forge!?!?

Hi everyone, I'm currently dishing money in to my VR6 to turbo it and was seeking advise off anyone with experience...

Ive heard in a lot of places that the VR6 internals are good to handle boost with just a spacer gasket, which would be the ideal cheaper options ;) and just wanted to know peoples views.

All the neccessary bolts will be changed to ARP and I've got uprated piston rings, will be gettin a precision 6262 turbo.

What boost pressure is "pushing it"

Any help would be much appreciated thanks :)

I do believe that about 90% VR6 T is running without forged parts. If you won't go much over 400 bhp you should be fine with a spacer and ARP's. Of course if your engine is healthy.

Mine has done 10,000 miles on 0.9bar boost with no problems.

If you're staying below about ~400Bhp you should be fine on normal internals, spacer and ARP rod/head bolts.

The main reason for going forged is because the stock pistons ring lands easily weaken with boost (they are 15+ yrs old after all), and can collapse. Seen it happen at 450hp and lower. Certainly 500hp and you're on borrowed time. Not if, but when.

I would say 350hp for long term durability and the clutch and gearbox are happy with that also.

400 and above, definitely forged if you want peace of mind.

Cool thanks guys, well i got a spare block so may aswell try it! I'll be hoping for close to 400hp so they should be ok if lucks on my side.

Can anyone recommend ecu software/hardware ? Only one I've looked in to so far is C2

Emerald have a good reputation, but I think pretty much everyone here will tell you to just go and see Uncle Vince at Stealth...

Stealth are very good too, they put a hell of a lot of work into mine, and it's good to know that everything has been thoroughly checked before being mapped.

If you're trying to build it all yourself and also going OBD2 (which I'd recommend) then C2 are very highly rated both in the US and on VR6OC for the plug and play ecu maps. You'll need to be sure that your car is running right beforehand though obviously...