shaunje

1.8 16V (KR) - Ignition Timing Huge Issue!

Got a feeling my ignition timing is not advancing/retarding. Can anyone expand on how this is controlled and what is likely to be ausing the trouble?

I've already checked valve timing and stuff, and it seems ok.

Performance started to suffer a bit a week or two ago, but it has got a lot worse now. It struggles to pull away and is very very very flat. The induction note sounds slightly more 'strained' that usual and the exhaust is also a little bit different sounding but not too noisy at all. It does little exhaust pops when gently revved to a low RPM. Once up to speed, the characteristics of the car are as usual, except for a huge lack of power.

Any ideas?

Sounds unlikely, more like you have a coil problem. Have you checked the idle ignition timing with a timing light and increased the revs?

I've done various iming checks with lights, used exhaust gas analysers etc and it's still pooped. I ran out of fuel a couple of times in it lately, so I'm going to change the fuel filter and see if that has an impact on things! Being 23 years old and possibly still on the riginal filter, I wouldnt be suprised if it was the cause of all this.

I've changed the fuel filter but it's still running flat as a witches tit. Anyone got any suggestions?

Old injectors cannot be cleaned, they actually wear out, but the usual symptoms are poor idling, open throttle is usually fine, if you're sure both the lift pump and main under car pump are ok then the metering head may have a problem, they are pretty reliable if left alone, usually only moisture in the fuel causes a problem. Is the HG ok?

Hmm. Lack of power and popping back exhaust. That sounds really familiar. See post No 14 in this thread. http://direct.the-corrado.net/showthread.php?55045-Fate-tempted-and-it-retaliated/page2&highlight=%2Bfate+%2Btempted

Cheers for the reply! I have checked the timing on crank and cam pulleys and it seems to be ok. there is a slight wobbly on the pulley, but somehow I cant see it causing what I'm suffering with, although every symptom in the post relates to me too! Might be worth an investigation! Is it a worn woodruff key or something I'm looking for?

Uh ohhh, just a thought! I had to weld my water pump pulley up as a temporary fix, and it got a bit of a wobbble on... this has probably helped **** the crank pulley?

Nah, the usual problem is someone undoing the bolt mistakenly when doing a cambelt change and then not renewing the bolt

I got mine from VW dealers, next day delivery. Parts cost about £35. I think I included part numbers and prices in the previous link.

I called VW yesterday and apparently they stopped production in April 2011 and they haven't got any. I had a good old shout down the phone to the useless cnut and ended up switching my insurance bak to my reliable fiesta lol. I'm taking the Corrado to work on saturday and we are going to see what we can do. I do have an ABF, a MK1 Caddy 1.8 and a MK2 GTI 8V sitting on my driveway so I can probably do something :D

Have you tried VW Heritage? They had a non original crankshaft toothed pulley (027 105 263B) listed and in stock last time I looked (£7.70) but not the bolt ( N 903 670 01)-that doesnt mean they haven't got it. May be worth calling them?

Ive checked VW Classic parts, Germany and neither part is listed.

Edited by bmwcompact

Nice one dude, I completely forgot heritage! Found the pulley, may be ordering one if my mate hasnt got a stash of them in his lockup :p.

I took my pulley off today and it was certainly the problem! The timing was three teeth out!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73398[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73399[/ATTACH]

Looks to be a slight burr on the crankshaft nose where the keyway is. Smooth that ut before you fit the new pulley or it will wobble. I used a flat oilstone on mine, only took a couple of minutes.

Looks to be a slight burr on the crankshaft nose where the keyway is. Smooth that ut before you fit the new pulley or it will wobble. I used a flat oilstone on mine, only took a couple of minutes.

I will be tidying the crank up, might have another one to put in if I need to, but mine should be ok to be fair.