Guest sam1990rhodes

Immobiliser/Buying car

Guest sam1990rhodes

Guys,

first time post, im looking to buy a 1990 corrado 1.8 16v, the seller is selling it as a non starter advising that it is something to do with the immobiliser, i know this is a common issue and can be resolved by coating the immobiliser in WD40 and working the connector a bit, however i dont think the seller would take to kindly to me doing this. i would normally use a ODB2 cable on MK4s however im pretty sure early corrados have no ECU? Is there any other way of checking that this fault is the immobiliser if it is not ODB1/2?

Sam.

Don't think the 1990 1.8 had a factory immobiliser, Mine hasn't. Could be an aftermarket one though. No useable diagnostics either.

Mine had a factory immobiliser. Just look at the key. If there is a red insert on the handle above the key (if you know what I mean), it has an immobiliser. This is where the chip is that is read by the sensor ring on the barrel. If its an immobiliser fault, it should start for a couple of seconds, then cut out.

What year is the corrado, that you want to view?

As I would have thought only the corrados from 93 will have factory immobiliser, but please don't quote me on this.

Mine is 92, and it doesn't have a factory immobiliser.

Guest sam1990rhodes

i thought i commeneted earlier, popssibly gone to mods for vetting, if not heres my awnser, if so please ignore duplicate.

thanks for getting back to me.

the rado is h plate so 90.

if its not the immobiliser what else could be causing the car not to start? what should i look for as hints?

any help appreicated, sam.

Could be a lot of things tbh. Does it turn over or is there nothing? Ignition switch is common and likely if you have nothing. Try wiggling the key in the barrel whilst trying to start it. If its turning over, listen to make sure the fuel pump is priming, as the relay is also a common problem, although an easy and cheap fix. Other than that its a process of elimination, and could be tons of things mate.

Ignition switch is easy to bypass, though you still need the key to unlock the steering lock and it won't start anyway if the immobiliser is duff!

A factory immobiliser not receiving the right code (or which has forgotten / been reprogrammed wrong) should start and run for 2 secs and then cut out. The coil is easy enough to change if you don't mind unplugging things to give yourself enough cable clearance, a Mk3 Golf or Polo part will work - though there's an extra tab on the connector which needs shaving off.

If it's an aftermarket alarm / immobiliser then all bets are off, they're traditionally fitted by cutting out big lumps of the loom and not renowned for longevity...

Stone