Smiithy

9a tuning options?

Looking to squeeze a little more power from my 9a without breaking the bank as i do plan to ABF or 1.8t her in the future (next year)

- K and N or pipercross etc filters? i guess these do give a nice improvement in power with the fuel metering system on the 9a? more air flow? more fuel due to more metering lift?

- I hear the Kr heads also give a nice improvment? is it as simple as people say?

- Already have a stainless de-cat full system on the car when i brought it.

- Any other suggestions? Also any real proven data on gains gained via different things?

I have searched on here but lets be honest guys the search system isnt great, i get the same results with 4 different searches! haha.

Any advice, links to other threads etc will be much apreciated.

KR or ABF inlet cam. Proven over and over 150bhp from fitting one of those. That's an extra give or take 15bhp. I think the KR cam is more aggressive with lift, but the ABF has longer duration, or something like that. Swings and roundabouts.

As for the KR head... The very early KR head is meant to flow better, the late KR and 9A or more or less the same, if not identical. ABF heads are meant to be really good. I believe in order of best 16v head flow rates it goes: very early KR, ABF, late KR/9A. Unless you're removing the head and rebuilding, I wouldn't bother.

Thanks for the info mate. Was planning to buy a seccond head as im burning a fair bit of oil atm, original head on 167k! From what i hear after 100k they are usually wanting a rebuild.

But my idea was to get a KR head and cam set up, have it took out to stage 1 or 2 and drop it on the 9a bottom end? But if ill be better keeping my 9a head and porting that and just using the intake cam ill go that way.

Last 2 cars have been dervs, so pretty new in the petrol tuning game, well ive helped my old man with his 5.7 chevvy v8 but thats a different kettle of fish.

I'd try and source a very early KR head then, might as well start with the best. Just do a search on google, it'll be covered somewhere with the proper info and part numbers. ClubGTi is very good for stuff like this.

Hello mate ive seen a lightened and balance 9a with stage 3 kr head and inlet cam making 180bhp very easy upgrade direct fit no faffing. If youre looking I have a racepower motorsport stage 3 early kr head brand new never fitted, a really rare stroeve motorsport KR intake kit brand new and some nice professionally polished bits (rocker cover and 50mm intake ) and a Scorpion stainless steel exhaust inc decat if youre interested, drop me a pm

Thanks very much mate. :thumbleft:

Any info on pannel filters? worth it?

not really, I've used a Jetex one for years and TBH I think the standard paper element is so big it doesn't offer any restriction in the inlet, keep them clean though, 16v's tend to breathe a little oil into the filter from the crank vent hose so check regularly and change the filter when it gets grubby.