jamesoff

HT leads and coil

Since getting my Corrado I've been slowly working though a laundry list (which I'm making up as I go along) of fixing things which looked old and tired - reasonably simple things since I'm not in a position to do major work on the car generally - things like battery cables which were falling apart and the like have been replaced.

I had a look at the HT leads and the coil today, which looks very old and quite tired, and waved my multimeter at them. The HT leads all came in at about 5.5k - 6.3k ohm, the primary coil was 1 ohm or so, and the secondary about 10k. From a bit of reading around online these seem reasonable? (It's the 1.8 16v KR engine.)

The car runs pretty well with no major complaints (and heading for 119k miles), so I'm not itching to replace them - but given their age and the fact that the connectors on all involved look like they could be shinier, and the HT leads look like the outer is perishing, would it be worth getting replacements at some point?

If they're looking past their best and on the brink of failure, chances are that they will when your miles from home and low on funds! Preventative maintenance is always better than corrective imo. Well worth getting them and replacing them whilst your in a position to do so. :thumbleft:

I'll move them nearer the top of the list then. Worth doing the coil as well as the leads?

Recommendations welcome - a quick Google around suggests a set of leads can be had for 30-40 quid, are they likely to be reasonable? I don't really care to spend 200 on ULTIMATE POWER CABLES tbh :)

Test the coil at night. Spray a mist of water over it through a spray bottle, and if you can see arching then its cracked and needs replacing. Otherwise it should be fine. I think they rarely actually go wrong mechanically, its just the outer insulation breaks down over time allowing moisture to get in fubar it. Hesitation and misfiring as you can imagine are symptoms of it failing, and obviously its more prone to happen in wet weather. Its just two bolts holding it on, with two connectors. Literally a two minute job to replace it if you decide to.

Thanks, I'll give it a test and swap it if it fails, else it can wait for now. (Trying to ration myself to one purchase a month so I don't get too carried away and broke ;) )

(Trying to ration myself to one purchase a month so I don't get too carried away and broke ;) )

It's very easily done, I've spent nearly close to 1k in the 5 weeks since I've had the car. Going to try and calm the sendings down if I can.

All the jobs I have done so far, are just preventive measures. Lol