Jamie

Passat Moonroof conversion or repair original???

Better than ever Geoff :)

Btw thanks for all your advice everyone especially Henny was really appreciated :)

Edited by Jamie

That looks absolutely terrific well done, really goes well with the red as well. Come to think of it have had to cast my mind to the last car I had with a glass roof, that'll be my old civic crx vtec :)

That looks absolutely terrific well done, really goes well with the red as well. Come to think of it have had to cast my mind to the last car I had with a glass roof, that'll be my old civic crx vtec :)

Cheers DJ. Yeah I must say I think it looks pretty good and you wouldn't believe how happy I am to finally have it sorted :)

Would the golf mech work with the original corrado steel sunroof?

I'm 99.9% certain it would fit

8FF75BE5-409E-4473-A02E-639060ADC0DB-316-00000016C22C0467.jpg

833A7EAE-31D9-4A9E-8202-8D860DFB0EA6-316-00000016B5329B22.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Needs a wee bit of adjustment but it's in and works a treat. MKIII Golf GTi mechanism with B4 Passat estate glass :)

Looks good. Have you noticed any extra wind noise in the cabin? Especially when the sliding panel is open?

looks like you've got a nice fit with it there, Jamie... :) Suits the red much better than I thought it might too... 8)

Would the golf mech work with the original corrado steel sunroof?

Why not? Its the same one in golf and rado new type... sooooo it shoud work right.

I guess it won't fit in old rado. but im not sure... :scratch:

Haven't actually had it on the road to find out yet Krishen but should do by the end of this month hopefully.

Actually sits a lot nicer now Henny - that pic was just a quickie cos I was so excited finally having it in after all the shennanigans I had with the breakers etc. Yeah I really like it against the red. Cheers for all your advice as well mate - it seemed a bit daunting but I couldn't believe how straightforward it turned out to be. Wish I'd done it ages ago :lol:

Looks good. Have you noticed any extra wind noise in the cabin? Especially when the sliding panel is open?

After fitting my moonroof on Monday I've noticed a little extra wind noise! But as you say it's only when the sliding panel is open!

Looks 10x better from the outside though so it makes up for it :)

Ben

Haven't actually had it on the road to find out yet Krishen but should do by the end of this month hopefully.

After fitting my moonroof on Monday I've noticed a little extra wind noise! But as you say it's only when the sliding panel is open!

Ben

Yeh i agree looks good and also the extra light it lets into the cabin definitely more than makes up for it.

But i think i might need to adjust mine to lower it. Hopefully reduce wind noise as its pretty bad with the slider open.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Ben

Yeh i agree looks good and also the extra light it lets into the cabin definitely more than makes up for it.

But i think i might need to adjust mine to lower it. Hopefully reduce wind noise as its pretty bad with the slider open.

you deffo need to have them sit a little low rather than a little high at the front edge, otherwise it does create quite a bit more wind noise... although with the somewhat non-standard G60 engine I had fitted to my Corrados, I couldn't hear the wind noise over the induction roar and the toothed pulley whine! :lol: :oops:

Jamie? Glad I could offer some helpful advice... Wish someone had done the same for me when I first did it! :lol:

Right, I finally got the sunroof out of the corrado and got a mk3 golf one. (I've got a few pics to post but I'm on my mobile at the minute). The golf glass is a totally different profile, not a problem as I wanted to keep the corrado metal one.

The only problem is the inside cover, the golf one is independent where as the corrado one moves woth the roof. The only way to use the original cover is to swap the mechs over, which surely defeats the object? Think I might have to run the metal roof with the golf inside cover, unless I'm missing something?

Edited by The Milkman

Sorry for double posts, bloody phone messing about.

Got the Mk3 roof working :)

Got a few pictures that might help people

The difference in profiles between the Mk3 and Corrado

20130526_105316_zps2f36f8b4.jpg

The mechs/guides are identical, mounting holes, drain tubes, etc.

20130526_101519_zpsb05ec4f7.jpg

The only difference is the part that moves the inner roof cover

Mk3 on the right

20130526_105239_zpsf18b501d.jpg

Corrado on the left

20130526_105234_zpsca25134a.jpg

I've worked out the problem with my original sunroof, this arm sits too high and stops the roof sliding back

20130527_084119_zpsb40a3cf1.jpg

The o-ring at the back of it has worn and has a flat spot, the other side works fine. You can see the two sides below

This is the side that sits a fraction too high

20130527_084201_zpsafc75c50.jpg

And this side is fine

20130527_084207_zps6cb16a48.jpg

Tried to find a suitable sized o-ring to replace it but couldn't find anything, I'll try Volkswagen during the week