DubGarry

Running Issues

so i picked up the corrado on monday, and was told by the old owner that there was a hesitation below 2k if you put your foot down in 3rd, 4th or 5th. This was true, but the feeling is in any gear now, and it smooths out a bit, but generally doesn't run as smoothly as i think it should, the idle is slightly lumpy too now, the revs dont fluctuate, but there's a bit more movement in the car when you sit there at idle, might be me just being paranoid.

he ordered a new throttle position sensor, but having read up on a couple of things on here and the VR6oc forum, i think it may be one of the following:

Cam Sensor

MAF

the leads are in good nick and the coilpack looks to be sound aswell.

the car is an OBD1 VR6, but it was converted to this, it was originally a 16v.

Is there anyway to scan the engine for codes? or with corrados is it a case of ruling out everything by replacing it?

I'll try and get a video of how it runs / idles, tomorrow, that should help out

Cheers

Chris

Yeah I think (1992 to 94 was OBD1) has distributor (I think this was two small plugs white & black under gear stick boot)

I believe you can carrier out a basic scan but you would need the adaptor plug lead (Ebay item number 190825924971) £2.49

plus you may only be able to scan the ABS system ?

(1994 to 96 was OBD2) has coil pack (16 pin diagnostic plug under gear stick boot)

I know you can scan the OBD2 as it has the modern 16 pin plug so you would be able to scan ECU and all the sensors.

Yes that would help if you could get up a video or something, for us all to access and see what's what so to speak.

Si :thumbleft:

I just went out to look qland its got obd1 throttle body and is coilpack. Its a corrado engine from a broken raddo. Has original clocks to go with the engine.

So am I able to scan it if its obd1? Providing theres a port for it. I have an obd scanner :)

All Corrados are OBD1, but the later models have yhe OBD2 diagnostic port.

Start off by giving the throttle body a good clean as it may well be gummed up. Also disconnect the MAF and see what its like. If the MAF is on its way out you should notice an immediate difference at idle and under acceleration.

i went out just now, started the car up and revved it, still the misfire, unplugged the MAF, and no difference at all

so i'm 90% its the MAF, videos to follow though

wierdly though, the spoiler and sunroof, which were 100% ok this morning, have stopped working

---------- Post added at 7:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:47 PM ----------

so it's not got a diagnostics port which is a right pain in the derrier, but here are some vids of it running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3OJDvNLFpl

think it needs an oil change too, as the chains sound a bit noisy aswell

Edited by DubGarry

i just took it out for a drive with no MAF and it's exactly the same, lumpy, still goes, but really rough, so i'll be replacing that first, then see if that's cured it