bmwcompact

A pressing need or an indulgence?

I have just replaced both the front bearings on my 16v. The task was made easier by my recent purchase of a 6 ton press and set of bearing/seal drivers. Total outlay for these was £88.31 inc delivery (ordered Sunday and arrived Tuesday at 10am).

I have replaced many bearings/bushes in the past using drifts (large sockets) and a hammer or metal discs and a length of stud iron. However for a fwd car, when doing a front wheel bearing, I have always taken the knuckle to a garage for them to do the pressing.

The press and drivers were bought from http://www.kmsdirect.co.uk. They advertise their range on Ebay and Amazon but the cheapest deal is done on their own website. (Today they don't list the press on their website but its still on Ebay????)

The photo below gives an idea of the size of the press (knuckle with bearing fitted had just been pressed onto a new hub). It has a sturdy frame, an adjustable height table for the workpiece and is powered by a hydraulic cylinder resembling a bottle jack. The pressing ram is simply a metal rod guided through a tube in the framework. The set of drivers are made of aluminium with dimensions suitable for most bearings.

This is clearly not a professional piece of equipment. For the home mechanic who only uses a press once in a blue moon, it’s a great addition to the workshop. It took but a few minutes to dismantle/rebuild the hub assemblies. I expect it would good for wishbone bush replacement.

I thought some forum members might consider as I do, that this was a small outlay for such a useful tool and might be inspired to follow my lead-buy the kit and do your own bearings!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73891[/ATTACH]

Edited by bmwcompact

that seems like a very fair price considering if you take a set of wishbones to have bushes pressed in you would be looking at roughly £20 & again bearings on front £20 you are half way there.

fari do's if you have the space I say!

good post!! , tbh doesnt look much different to the proffesional press i used when i did mine, And when you consider the costs of tools like this not to mention your time + the time when you have to leave your car at a garage at the mercy of a mechanic, the tools normaly pay for themselfs on the first go,

Given what I was recently charged for getting a set of front wheel bearings pressed in and out on both my front hubs, I'd say that's an excellent deal (I paid £40... so almost half way towards your press set!).

Looks like a good price. I've considered buying a press myself - but it's having the space to keep it somewhere, though I guess if you can remove the feet then it would be reasonably flat.