delfinis38

Spraying new brake discs with primer ????

Just about to fit new brakes front and rear. Unfortunately I can't see myself using the car again this year... Too many projects on the go....

For some reason I've got it in my mind that I've seen people (KIP) spray the brake disk surface (where the pads touch) with primer or similar to stop them rusting during storage. I'm hoping I'm not talking rubbish.....

Seems a shame to put disks on to let them go rusty. Am I right in my thinking ?? If so how do you remove the paint after, when recommissioning back on the road ????

I believe a good Chris Gaskell tip was hairspray to achieve a similar result! The hair spray obviously just comes straight off as soon as you use them... :)

You Rang :lol:

I actually Primer them with a heat resistant paint like Plastikote then I use Halfords Silver Caliper paint over the top to give them that OE Finish.

I have painted the whole disc surface before now and then fitted them and then driven round the block and it burns/scrapes it off after a few gentle mile, I find it makes a bloody mess with silver paint dust though so took to masking the main braking surface then cutting the majority of masking tape away with a stanley knife.

Be sure to leave a couple of MM on the outer & inner edge of the surface though otherwise they start to get the edges rusty and this way as you drive it cleans the whole part of the disc that the pads rub against.

If however you just want to fit discs without this faffing about simply fit them then give them a good coating of Hair Spray (You read that right) this will stop moisture getting to the disc then just simply drive off and it'll get scraped off as you brake.

Just remember to go gently for a few miles ;)

Here's a pic to give you an idea, you can see where the masking isnt perfectly round but it's good like this as it just burns away almost instantly.

P8120166.jpg

Edited by KIPVW

Many discs come painted with an anti corrosion paint when new, my last set of front and rear discs were like this, brembo branded iirc, but others come like this too