JimyJonz

Corrado VR6 not start, no crank, no spark, nothing. Ignition switch?

Firstly I'd like to apologise for filling up the forum with 'Help the noob' threads but I could do with a bit of help with the apparently non-stop issues I'm having with my Corrado.

After getting it back from the garage and the auto-electrician on Saturday it all seemed to work fine. Low and behold on the way to work Monday the head unit just cut out, not a big deal I thought it's probably just a loose wire but after checking all seemed fine. I know it gets permanent live as if I press the CD eject it makes a whirring noise but it doesn't switch on fully on any key position.

So after work Monday I go to start it to see if the HU is still being weird, all dash lights came up on position 2, windows all worked etc but when turned to position 3 there was no crank, no buzz at all. Its like the immobiliser is on (aftermarket, was in when I bought it so I'm sure of make/model) when it is switched off, so after checking all relays and making sure I couldn't see any obvious wires hanging in the engine bay I called for someone to run the spare key up to me. While I'm waiting I tried a few more times to get it started and for some reason it just starts up and dies again, after a few more tries I managed to keep it going and drove home.

I started trawling forums but couldn't find a thread with the same issue that had been resolved. After putting the HU and starting problems together I started thinking ignition switch, and found they're quite a common part to go on C's.

So this morning I had the same issue, but managed to start it by leaning on the wheel and pushing the key in fairly hard while keeping revs up for a few seconds to stop it dying. So does the ignition switch sound like the problem to you knowledgeable folk? I'm thinking it could be a loose cable as I had someone fix the horn for me just a few days ago but it might be an idea to replace the switch while I'm doing it. Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Mitchell

Edited by JimyJonz

Much better with paragraphs :thumbleft:Thanks for the quick reply, managed to find a local supplier with one in stock so I'll see if a new switch solves problem tomorrow. Do you think this would be the head units problem too?

Thanks

yup, for the £20ish quid and 30 minutes it'll take you to fit one, put a new ignition switch in... they're utter #@£$ and will cause all sorts of problems like you describe if it's on it's way out....