J.C

no start after radio wiring mdification

Hi all,

the car was running literally 1/2 hour before!!!

while sorting out the new oil pressure guage I may have shorted the radio supply(Brown/red wire)

upshot is now the car wont start WTF,

it doesn't make sense, I've no supply from the ignition switch (conceivable that the switch burnt out with the short) so I jumped it from the battery feed to the radio (which would supply any circuits after the switch) but still no start,

Engine turns over but doesn't fire,

I've jumped the fuel pump relay, jumped the ECU relay, still no luck

conclusion

I need a new ignition switch (I knew it was on the way out from my previous recorded voltage readings)

then diagnose a possible crankshaft sensor/immobiliser/Fuel pump/coil pack/ECU/ or a 100 or 1 things it could be,

Question to those who know a thing or two about ****,

If the problem was in the transponder in the key not being recognised by the ECU, would the car turn over (on starter motor) at all or would it not or would it start then cut out like (I've read) if the immobiliser was activated

I'm having a sexy finger day!!!!

feel your pain, fwiw i didn't even know my sigma car alarm had an immobiliser function until i reset the alarm, not the usual start/ run/ die you tend to read about.

I killed the ignition switch on my first Corrado while changing the radio........I shorted something out then it wouldn't start.......still don't know why/how? But a new ignition switch sorted it :)

thanks for the replies

looks like a trip to GFS to pick up a switch,

I know I should get genuine VAG but I need the car this weekend

What are the chances the local stealer would have one????

id say you have a better chance ringing scrappy's.

So the fault was the ignition switch

got one from GFS

I'll keep the original one in the car(it works independently from the ignition barrel) so if the GFS ****s itself, I can just plug in the old one and get home.

Also regarding how to remove the screw which holds the switch in place, I purposely broke mine by using a screwdriver to remove the switch

I found that using a 2.5mm hex screw(commonly found in RC cars) along with a ball tipped allen key gives just enough deflection to tighten the screw without any modifications

I cut grooves in mine so I could do it with a fingernail in future, a right pita to get at! Good result gsf.

I made a special tool out of one of those screwdrivers you get in Christmas crackers :lol:

ignition-screwdriver.jpg

If you get it cherry-red with a blowtorch they're quite easy to bend with a pair of mole-grips without snapping it. Watch you don't melt the handle!

Stone