dumptyboy

Clutch slave cylinder knackered??

I pulled up outside my local shop yesterday to go and grab a couple of beers, and when I got back in the car the clutch pedal was on the floor and I could not get the car out of gear!! I rocked the car and got in into neutral, started it and then drove it home in second gear.

I did notice that prior to the clutch pedal going completely that the bite was getting lower and lower on the pedal, the clutch itself seemed fine though, no clutch slipping or thrust/release bearing noise.

I'm assuming it might be the clutch slave cylinder that's at fault, but would like a second opinion.

I pulled the pedal up by hand and pumped it a few times and it seems like its back to normal, but I'm sure it will do it again as soon as I take the car for a spin.

Any help appreciated please.

Cheers.

Edited by dumptyboy

Not certain, but seems likely. Had that happen to me a few years ago. Drove to work okay, but when I got back in to drive home - pedal was on the floor. Have you check the hydraulic fluid level / check for leaks? When it happened to me, I was fortunate that GSF were just 10 minutes walk away - so I got some brake fluid, topped it up and managed to drive home. Changing the clutch slave cylinder is straightforward, but fiddly.

Well mine did this when I collected it last year. I replaced the slave but its done it a couple of times since!! So I think the problem is the master not the slave. I would add that I have no insulation between exhaust manifold and clutch master/pipework and suspect when the fluid gets warm the problem occurs. (There should be blanket insulation between manifold and master cylinder, and a heat shield between manifold and bulkhead).

Guildmage also had this problem and it was solved by replacing his master.

Edited by bmwcompact

Change the fluid first if it's not been done recently - some garages don't bother doing the clutch when doing brake fluid changes

Cheers everyone for your advice. How do I change the fluid Steve? I doubt it's been done in a long time, and is probably well passed its use by date. I did consider bleeding the fluid of any possible air, but just wanted to see what advice everyone could offer.

Thanks again. Rob.

Hi mate, you can pressure bleed with an easy bleed or do it by hand (2 person job)

You'll need an 11mm spanner and a tiny amount of fluid (250ml - £2ish from VW)

Before you start though are you getting a drop in fluid level?? If so looks for signs of it under the slave / on top of gearbox.... It has to get fairly bad to become noticeable but should be easy to spot if so now we finally have some dry weather.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Post a pic up if your not sure... if it's black painted or rusty then maybe original and might as well replace

Best place to buy one -

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1924