coullstar

GT Junior Brembo question

Okay I have a couple of questions regarding these brakes. I have a Mk4 Golf 4motion that has the LCR set up i.e. 323mm discs and 4pot Brembo.

My plan is to remove these and put the kit on the Corrado so Im assuming that the caliper brackets will work on the Corrado as well? Also are the hardline hose connections the same on the C as on the Mk4 to prevent me having to get new lines?

I was looking at using the 288's calipers from the Corrado and sourcing the 312mm carriers/discs as I believe the calipers are the same, is that correct?

Would be good to get this done ASAP as I have a trackday looming and the Brembos would be ace to have on!!

Edited by coullstar

Not sure if they bolt straight on, there's a 6mm offset difference between mk4 and mk3/corrado brakes. A 6mm spacer between the hub and the carrier may be all you need though.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

And I believe the hardline points are the same.

From what I can remember the 6mm offset is due to the Mk4 discs offset therefore if I use the LCR calipers/brackets and discs then they should all align. Thats what I wanted to check i.e. that I didnt need a different caliper bracket.

Can anyone confirm that the standard caliper brackets from the LCR are what you need for the Corrado and I dont have to buy specific brackets?

You should be able to fit the caliper and carrier but the disc is the wrong offset. You would need to find a disc with the right offset and size to fit. Not sure what there is available. The Leon has the same brake mounting points as the Mk4.

When you go for the 288 setup on a corrado you can use mk4 calipers and carriers as long as you use the late mk3 gti/vr6 288 brake disc as this has the correct offset. When you go for the 312 setup (which will fit on the same mk4 hub as the 288 setup), you need to offset the carrier by 6mm as the 312 disc is only available in 5x100 pcd on the mk4 platform. It is all down to the Corrado carrier mounting points being 6mm further outboard compared to the mk4 items.

I've not looked into this mod much myself, but i'm sure you will more than likely need a custom carrier or a spacer and longer bolts. I think (but can't remember exactly) that Kip has these on his R32 Rado and had to get some custom brackets.

Bugger, I was hoping it was as simple as taking them off the Golf and putting them straight on the Corrado. Picked up a 312 set up last night so will get them swapped in and see what the story is with the Brembo's. This is the Brembo GT kit I have. Ive got about a month to get this figured out.

---------- Post added at 8:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:54 AM ----------

Acutally just checked the spec sheet and its the GT junior calipers I have but the LCR discs. i.e. this kit http://www.thettshop.com/latest.asp?cat=2008&product=600438

Phoned Bill at Badger5 and he couldnt say either what would work. Sounds like it could be a bit of a pain.

Might just get some funcy pads for the 288's and live with the fade on track, put the 312's on the Golf and punt the Brembo kit.

Same Brembo's I had on the last Rado, I had the full kit inc discs and pads, Star Performance fitted mine with no trouble, they got a bracket made up local to them, not sure where though, possibly RJM :shrug:

Ah cool, at least someone has had this before. I think it was Star that fitted these ones as well to the 4mo. Ive ordered std hoses for the golf so I'll get them swapped out and see whats what and update with photos on this thread for future reference.