P3rks

Clutch issues

The VR has been off the road for 6 months.

The clutch has had a replacement, used master cylinder (known working) and a recent (extensive) bleed with fresh fluid - no air in the system as far as I can tell.

I replaced the master cylinder as I broke a late golf which had an almost new one; so whilst the car was off the road I replaced it as the clutch always felt a little weak/soft.

The bite point was always at the very top if the pedal but now it's mid-way since the MC change.

But, now if the pedal is held whilst in gear, especially reverse the bite point becomes lower and lower until the clutch starts to automatically engage and you can't pull it out of gear. Lift the clutch pedal and push it again and the clutch is back to normal.. Until you hold it again anyway.

It's got no leaks as far as I can tell and it's using no fluid; as far as I can tell.

Possible slave cylinder or a knackerd clutch?

I would suspect the slave cylinder rubber boot is ripped, and not allowing full travel. It's easily removed in 10 minutes, I would check it for faults first. Also how did you bleed the system, gunsons eezibleed or just by using the clutch pedal?

Was going to say what about the slave? - may as well change that too as I'm sure it's a hydraulic issue if the bite point is changing...

The master sounded like it was knackered as you noticed the change so this could have taken out the slave too even if it had been replaced before.

I bled it using a vacuum bleeder and clutch pedal method - I went way OTT just to make sure there was no air.

Check it for faults? How? Or is it just a case if removing it and looking for internal leaks?

Edit: The slave looks to be original.

I would remove the slave cylinder and check for any obvious faults. It's either an issue with the master cylinder or the slave cylinder. My master cylinder was faulty due to the internal rubber seals. I replaced the slave cylinder first as it was easier to get hold of, but unfortunately it turned out to be the master. All sorted now, but had to bleed it twice as the clutch pedal hit the floor again after about 100 miles!

Nice one, I'll get the slave off tomorrow and have a look.

I'm presuming I should have enough play in the pipe work so I don't have to remove it and bleed it again?

Picked up a almost new slave cylinder from a member on my local VW forum.

Fixed it and wow, the clutch feels brand new! Only a 20 min job too!