VR6 Gar

Obscene price hike.

Just been to TPS and VW and was quoted the following prices for the VR.

Thermostat £28.88 - not too bad.

Blue Sender £20.58 - hmm, that seems a bit pricey.

Yellow sender £37.98 - HOW FLIPPIN MUCH?!?!

So with the 2 rubber 'O' rings I am looking at £90 :bad-words:

So, anyone used cheaper alternatives with any success? Or anyone got these parts that are not too old as I REALLY don't wan't to be spending that on a couple of senders and a thermostat.

I don't remember the yellow sender ever being less than £20, even 9 years ago.

You can get a BTS from ebay for a fiver but I'd rather put butter in my engine.

The thermostat is expensive though, for what is essentially the same thing Ford Cortinas had in the 70s.

Just checked GSF

Thermostat £11.16 - premium quality one.

Blue sender £8.88

Yellow sender not listed

---------- Post added at 2:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:32 PM ----------

Just found this, worth a pop at only 25% the price of the yellow one. And its made by German company Meyle.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_...country_GB.htm

---------- Post added at 2:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:35 PM ----------

That link didn't work.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Thermo-Switch-100-95C-20mm-Black-Blue-T4-and-VR6-Engines-701919369D_act_shop.product_pID_102766406_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

Edited by VR6 Gar

For the yellow sender?

701 919 369D

Blue- 025 906 041A

Thermostat- B 075 121 113D

Think I will just do the Rad switch and thermostat first before I go ordering unnecessary senders.

I think the Ford 'cheap prices' bubble has well and truly burst. All the VR bits seem to be more expensive than VW now. I remember buying a blue temp sensor from Ford 3 years ago. They had it on the shelf and it was less than a tenner. Over £20 now. Thermostat was over £50 last summer. Yep, £50!

This is a situation where you're better off going to a VW dealer - TPS can only offer around 9-12% on normal (non-parts club) parts where the dealer maybe able to do much more discount...

Absolutely! Sometimes my dealer will give up to 20%, depending on the part. Mind you, I've been going there for 12-odd years and have spent £££ with them ;) so they owe me some discount! :)

The discount varies from part to part. You can see on their screen what the discount code is for each part on your order. Max is 20%, min is 5%. Dealers you get on with tend to apply the max discounts but obviously it's discretionary. Service items tend to get a higher discount code, such as Quantum Longlife 3, which is now £52 a tub, but you can get for around £35 if the dealer is in a good mood :D

We're not doing too badly... my old man has an R reg Merc C240 estate. Only a cheap motor - can pick these up for next to nothing these days. Central locking pump packed up today and looked on eBay - found one from a breaker for £30. Out of curiosity I rang up Mercedes Benz - one of those 'wish I was sitting down' moments when the guy quoted me £500+VAT. The pump is similar sort of VAC system to the one the Corrado uses... not sure where Mercedes plucked that price from but seriously what a joke!!

I get almost all of my spares from http://www.vwspares.com - incredibly cheap compared to TPS/main dealer.

Example: Thermostat is £16.38inc VAT, for a Meyle part. Many of the bits even come in the OEM boxes!

Stone

The most shocking price I ever paid for a Corrado part was for the injector O-rings. They were £3.50 EACH and there are 12 of them. That was a few years ago too.

We're not doing too badly... my old man has an R reg Merc C240 estate. Only a cheap motor - can pick these up for next to nothing these days. Central locking pump packed up today and looked on eBay - found one from a breaker for £30. Out of curiosity I rang up Mercedes Benz - one of those 'wish I was sitting down' moments when the guy quoted me £500+VAT. The pump is similar sort of VAC system to the one the Corrado uses... not sure where Mercedes plucked that price from but seriously what a joke!!

That old blanket "£500+VAT" price again.

I've been pleasantly surprised how cheap parts are for my R32 though.

I may be able to help with some ford vr6 bits for people I know on a limited basis, my father in law retired from fords parts warehouse in Daventry a couple of years ago but gets pretty much a 50% discount on ford spares still, ford bits have become expensive though, for example his mondeo abs sensor was over 100 quid retail recently, in the end gsf or ecp supplied an identical ate sensor for less than he could get one even with Ford staff discount.