James.

Which Breakdown cover ???

Planning a couple of big (for me that is) trips in the coming months. Staying within the UK though. Any advice on who to go with ? AA seems the best bet from here. Or am I missing something ?

Thanks, James

I've flip flopped between the AA and the RAC depending on who would give me the best deal that year. Overall the RAC have been slightly better for me based on cost and also service/ getting it fixed but I don't think there is much in it.

Be aware though that the RAC have just changed their conditions and now won't fix it if it's a result of an attempted repair or servicing by yourself. e.g. if you do done work on your car and the breakdown is a result of that then they won't cover you.

---------- Post added at 6:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:00 AM ----------

I've flip flopped between the AA and the RAC depending on who would give me the best deal that year. Overall the RAC have been slightly better for me based on cost and also service/ getting it fixed but I don't think there is much in it.

Be aware though that the RAC have just changed their conditions and now won't fix it if it's a result of an attempted repair or servicing by yourself. e.g. if you do done work on your car and the breakdown is a result of that then they won't cover you.

I'm with the RAC but wasn't aware of that. But, how will they know unless you tell them?

Definitely the AA. Their parts cover has saved me over £1000 in the last two years! If they can't fix it at the side of the road and have to tow you somewhere, just get them to tow you to your friendly (VAT-registered) garage and they'll pay for £465 of any subsequent repair. Tends not to cover the whole bill but it definitely helps soften the blow!

Stone

Not going to push the boat out far enough for parts cover but you've confirmed what I already thought.

Thanks for the concise replies everyone.

AA every time for me - much better service and have access to better kit / better trained technicians etc - just annoying they don't do any sort of no claims discount

I'm with the RAC but wasn't aware of that. But, how will they know unless you tell them?

When I phoned to renew they asked if I'd received their latest conditions. I said I hadn't received anything and was then told about the change. I've no idea how they find out.

I went with Greenflag because they were the only company online who would do home recovery for a car of this age. Think it was about £85 for the year.

Another vote for the AA , sorted my van and the Rado . I've had cover in the past with other company's , geezer climbs out of the truck armed with a pen , pokes around with it and says "mmm think it's an electrical fault where do you won't me to tow you too " !! Oh yeah great diognosis that mate , thanks . The AA came out to me when the Vr had cut out , even though I had looked at the usual suspects he checked again , then got it started . Followed me home to make sure it was ok , I put the kettle on and we had a chat about corrado's . Could not fault em

RAC definitely cover cars over 10 years old - but may depend exactly which options you choose.

I used to be with AA a long time ago, but switched after problems getting a car recovered. I think you'll probably get mixed reviews for all of the breakdown companies, as it just depends on your experience with the service you get if/when you breakdown. I'm not unhappy with RAC so haven't considered any alternatives for ages. I just know that most of the cheap breakdown cover deals/freebies I've seen advertised don't cover older cars.

been with AA for ages, service is good except one time when was waiting 7h for their truck and another 3h for a tow car.

AA have always given me good service....recently had breakdown on a 22 year old v-twin two stroke bike due to a broken 2 into 1 throttle cable . I thought they'd just chuck it in a van and take me home but the guy fiddled and faffed and made up a new throttle cable by the roadside. Not difficult I know but quality!

Only gripe for me would be their call centre staff are not always very reliable

Aa have saved my bacon more than once, get the all so singing dancing one as you won't get any nasty surprises when your stuck in the arse end of nowhere! Worth it's weight in gold when everything goes belly up

By coincidence I got them to recover me yesterday when my crank sensor went! :lol:

Bit hacked off as they got a local contractor to tow me off the motorway into a 'safe place' (Tesco car park...) and then abandoned me for 3h as I wasn't urgent any more...but they did turn up in the end. Car low-loaded to my trusty garage, parents rescued me from Tesco and then gave me a lift home / to the car hire place, where my rubbish 1.2l Corsa was already waiting...all on the AA's tab, and they'll be covering the repair too. Not so bad really, could have been a lot worse!

Stone