Jon_vr6

Vr6 Sump bolts

Right ordered some new ones from VW (bro did) part number

N 900 084 01

And they are no longer allen key bolts they are regular hex head is this right? Have they been superseeded?

Are these new bolts alright to use?

Cheers

Jon

Is that the part no. for late VR sump bolts?, mine need replacing.

Kev - Is it ok to use an early fabric sump gasket on a late VR sump?, I've got a brand new REINZ fabric one. Is it genuine and are the late gaskets rubber?

Cheers

Last time I went in for 'sump bolts', I was given a sack of these newer torx ones and told they were for all 12 and 24V engines. I couldn't tell you if that's the part number though, but it's clearly not a corrado specific part no.

You'll be fine with the fabric gasket on your sump. So long as you torque up the bolts in a diagonal fashion and don't over tighten them, all will be well.

---------- Post added at 3:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:35 PM ----------

Cheers Kev just wanted to double check, any idea why the change? stronger i presume

More surface area for the tool to grip I suspect. i.e. less chance of rounding them.

I've rounded out a couple the older allen headed bolts a few times, which is strange as they're only torqued up to 10nm!

---------- Post added at 3:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:38 PM ----------

Cheers Kev just wanted to double check, any idea why the change? stronger i presume

More surface area for the tool to grip I suspect. i.e. less chance of rounding them.

I've rounded out a couple the older allen headed bolts a few times, which is strange as they're only torqued up to 10nm!