Sign in to follow this  
Madjackal

Respray

Can anyone advise a good places in East Anglia (or thereabouts) to take my G60 for a respray. Any ideas about costs, can i get them to go down to the metal and check for rust and pull out dents.

i'm sure i was told it's not a good idea to take it down to the metal for a respray

something about the new paint getting a better "bite" into the old stuff rather than going back to metal then priming up again

Go and see Rick Kerry at Ipswich Car body repairs in Martlesham. There is no better in Ipswich.

So long as the bare metal isn't exposed to the elements for too long, a bare metal prep is fine. Most decent sprayers use Standox or Glasurit paints, both of which are far better quality and more durable than VW's paint.

K

I have heard through a body repairing professional friend that C & S Bodycare of Norwich are recommended, though don't suppose too attractive an option if youv'e found a decent place in Ipswich. May be worth a call though for the sake of comparing quotes etc.....01603 409569. I can certainly tell you of a few places to avoid in Norwich, but best PM me if you want those details!

Thanks alot guys, at present the car is tornado red and fading like a b*****d. Any opinions on colours. Im thinking of going with anthrocite but not 100% settled yet.

what is the going rate now anyway?? last i heard it about £700 for a full respray.

I got a qoute on just 2 front wings and bonnet for £400.

I am at present saving up to have a front end respray and dents taken out....where would do it cheapest? i'm willing to drive out of northants to a good place in london. sorry its off topic slightly. :wink:

dubbprince, Think a lot depends on the quality of the job you want, i.e. a 'trade' job being at the lower end of the price range, or a 'perfectionists' job at the higher. Would have thought a London based place will cost you more anyway because of their higher overheads? Quality of the materials would be a factor, the best quality lacquers being a tad pricey.

hmm...i thought most of the cheaper bodyshops tended to be down south.

Who has had a recent job done that looks the dogz?? i want around £400-500's worth of work only...

3 dents (size of 5p's) to be taken out on outside b pillar on passenger side...bonnet...and passenger wing. (could do these through dentmasters or someone external)

re-flushing of debadged rear panel inc welding of plate NOT filling. (i could wait and have that done later one)

both front wings, VR6 bumper (when i have one) and bonnet needs a proper job.**needs to be done asap along with reiger grill and some passat handles**

Is that too less for that work?

dubbprince, just had some paint work done at a place in Newport Pagnell called Finishing Touch. I had quite a bit done and was worried about the paint matching but you wouldn't even know - it matches perfectly. Generally very happy with their work and customer service. There not the cheapest but they are reasonable and should get the work you want doing for the price you say. They've also resprayed a corrado before mine so they're getting to know their corrados now!

I had a little bit of rust under the rear badge so asked them how much it would be to totally debadge the rear end whilst they were there. They said it would be 3 hours work to weld them up etc whereas to just sort the rust, colour code the vw roundel and tidy up the rear panel would take just one hour labour. I didn't think it was worth the money so just got it tidied up and im well happy 8)

Their down Union street and there number is 01908 61818.

how much did you end up paying mate? if you don't mind me asking...and i missed ya car at inters mate...but i bet its minted even more now.

Let me know when you and bally boy get a meet goin in MK again! Saw Paul is it? the guy with the storm yesterday zoom past me.

I'm saving up that dosh to have mine done in next two months so i may give them a call to tidy up my car mate.

I live in Norfolk and I have just had mine resprayed by a local guy... Thought he did a really good job as well 8) !!!!!! Well chuffed.