J.C

oil temp too high

I've posted in the 24v thread, but I think it could be a general problem not a 24v specific one

I've fitted a v6 4motion engine which was previously installed in another forum members C,

been having problems with high oil temp,

here's the 24v post

checked out the hot oil situation and it seems that the oil (or at least the oil temp sender) is getting too hot,

driven at a steady 70mph temp is around 106 degrees,EDIT, after a run to hitchin and back, it was more like 120 degrees at 70mph,

driven hard it got up to 130 before I noticed and backed off,

I bought a new temp sender and plotted the resistance vs temp from 50 degrees to 100 degrees, then measured the resistance of the sender in the car after a run, the displaygave the correct reading for the resistance of the sender,

I then removed old sender and fitted new sender, then carried out same resistance vs temp test that I did on new sender and THE RESULTS WERE THE SAME.

So I'm thinking the coolant is not circulating through the oil cooler, either a blockage, incorrect hose connection (I've checked and double checked) or water pump failure,

thoughts please gentlemen as I've got it booked into AMD on Tuesday for a remap and I don't think it will like the punishment on the dyno

Are you still using the stock VR6 fan setup? If they don't run then you will see very high temperatures - especially when stuck in traffic or enthusiastic motorway driving. Got mine working the other day (finally!) and I never see more than 108 in hard driving now, or 112 in traffic. Was seeing 126 before so it's made a big difference!

Nick

Still stock 12v cooling

Cooling works fine, fans kick in, cooant temps around 80-90 when oil is at 120+,

funny thing is where the engines previous owner put the 12v oil temp sensor is it reads 120+ but I've put a temp prob down the dipstick so it in the oil in the sump and it only shows temps of 90 or so there,

So either heatsoak from the engine block where it is in the oil filter,

oil pump heating the oil (doubt this as this would mean heating by 30+degrees)

Blockage in the oil cooler/filter,

blockage in the coolant supply to oil cooler,

24v more sensitive to auxiliary pumps not working( same pump as my 12v and that didn't get over106

does anyone have a diagram of how the oil flows, Pump-oil pressure-filter-cooler etc

just to finish I've run the cables from the dipstick probe into the cabin to monitor, I do however find it hard to work out how there can be a differece of 30+ degrees between the 2 points (pressure sender port in oil filter and sump)

---------- Post added at 6:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:24 PM ----------

Still stock 12v cooling

Cooling works fine, fans kick in, cooant temps around 80-90 when oil is at 120+,

funny thing is where the engines previous owner put the 12v oil temp sensor is it reads 120+ but I've put a temp prob down the dipstick so it in the oil in the sump and it only shows temps of 90 or so there,

So either heatsoak from the engine block where it is in the oil filter,

oil pump heating the oil (doubt this as this would mean heating by 30+degrees)

Blockage in the oil cooler/filter,

blockage in the coolant supply to oil cooler,

24v more sensitive to auxiliary pumps not working( same pump as my 12v and that didn't get over106

does anyone have a diagram of how the oil flows, Pump-oil pressure-filter-cooler etc

just to finish I've run the cables from the dipstick probe into the cabin to monitor, I do however find it hard to work out how there can be a differece of 30+ degrees between the 2 points (pressure sender port in oil filter and sump)

The 12v oil coolers are Known to be a bit weak given their age but i'm sure you said that the 24v was fitted. I'm pretty sure that the 12v and 24v coolers are interchangeable so it may be worth fitting the 12v back on for diagnosis purposes? There will be a bit of a temperature difference between the sump and the oil filter housing where the temperature readings are taken but should only be around 5 degrees or so.

​How old is the filter?

The 12v oil coolers are Known to be a bit weak given their age but i'm sure you said that the 24v was fitted. I'm pretty sure that the 12v and 24v coolers are interchangeable so it may be worth fitting the 12v back on for diagnosis purposes? There will be a bit of a temperature difference between the sump and the oil filter housing where the temperature readings are taken but should only be around 5 degrees or so.

​How old is the filter?

yeah 24v oil cooler with 12 coolant system,

Russ (previous owner of engine) said it never went over 102 degrees

filter is original to engine I believe

I know the answer will be simple but I'm getting frustrated,