UseOnceDestroy

Fuel pump... Someone please HELP!

I have a 1994 VR6.

I originally ordered a Bosch fuel pump but when it arrived, the fitting was completely different so I returned it and ordered a genuine one from VW.

Now this one doesn't seem to fit either and I've been without a car for 2 weeks waiting on pumps!!

The float doesn't fit into the new pump body.

Can someone tell me whats going on, I ordered this through TPS using my reg.

Old pump.

bpo5.jpg

90do.jpg

6md0.jpg

New pump

gdhq.jpg

9cfn.jpg

Your original old one is a pierberg the bosch one and the one from vw are for later cars and VDO ones. Basically some vr's came with pierberg ones (I presumed early ones but yours is a 94 weird) and some came with VDO ones.

So your need a pierberg pump but vw only supply the vdo one only as that superseeded the pierberg pump.

---------- Post added at 3:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:22 PM ----------

Or i have heard of people just zip tieing the old pierberg blue sender to the new VDO one dont know how and wouldnt do it myself but its an option

Ahhhh I seeee!! What a ball ache :( Thanks for the info mate.

Forgive me if I sound stupid here, but is there any way of buying a new sender float thing and using this pump?

If not, where am I likely to find a pierberg pump if VW have stopped supplying them?

I'm liking the idea of zip tying it as it gets me on the road right now, but I wouldn't be too happy long term :-/

Yeah as far as i know you can buy a VDO sender to replace the blue pierberg sender dont know price though

Brilliant, that would save the hassle if it were to go again. I'll phone VW tomorrow, you know if (technical term) the top bit is compatible with both models or I'd have to source one of those too?

u5gz.jpg

Im not sure but the top bit looks exactly the same as my one so i would have thought it would work

I've bought the second hand Pierburg pump from VAG-hag to get me back on the road for now.

The VDO senders were made obsolete in November 2011 I've been told by VW and TPS. VW told me they can't get hold of them but TPS have just given me a ring to say that they've found a couple in stock. So I've ordered one, my thinking being that if and when this pump gives up the ghost I'll have a VDO set up ready to go in without having to worry about finding another Pierburg replacement.

Can anyone confirm if there will be any compatibility issues with installing the VDO pump in my car if it was fitted with a Pierburg originally? Probably a stupid question but fuel pressure for example or the top bit that I've posted a picture of above? Or is it a straight swap as long as I have the correct sender fitted? Any performance advantages with the VDO etc.

Don't really know much about this so I'd like to be 100% sure I'm going the right way about it.

Cheers :D

I looked in etka while researching the same thing - to see if a pierburgs from my Passat VR6 would fit my Corrado VR6 - although I'm not 100% sure, (I'm 99.9% :) ) it seems the pierburgs pump I have in the Passat was replaced with a newer Part number (I think VDO) - but also the pump I have in the Corrado was replaced by that part number - so atleast the available pump today seem to replace both pierburgs and the older vdo. (I think current one available is still VDO though)....

Cheers for the info Mawrick and nice waaaan VAG-hag.

The sender is £76 and the pump cost me £195... OUCH!!

Now I'm in two minds whether to get a refund on the VDO pump and hope this Pierburg one lasts or whether to pay the £76 and keep the pump just in case.

Dayum the Corrado eats money fast!!! :D

Got a brand new sender for sale VERY cheap if you choose to keep the piersburg. Need shot of it, so really id accept just postage costs if you want it ;-)

Was too expensive to just throw away :(