Ray1965

Can this be used on corrado vr6

Hi Ray,

I cant say I have ever changed one from a Golf onto a rado, but have just double checked ETKA for you and it definitely shows that part number as being for a '95 corrado as well, so cant see why you should have a problem.

Do they then have to be coded to match key/ECU? I don't know how 'advanced' the Corrado immobiliser system is, so I don't know whether the ring just has to know that there is a key in there, or whether the key, ecu & immobiliser all need to be matching for it to work?

Hope that helps

Dan

Yes rado's do have a chip in the key which has to be coded for the immobiliser ring - if they are out of synch the car will start & then cut out

i had to argue with VW when they sold me a new barrel & key as they parts guy told me the keys were NOT chipped & i only found out they were once i had fitted the barrel & it kept starting & then cutting out - fortunately i got them to recode it FOC

a possible hint tho would be to split the key in half & swap the chip over to match the ring

Thanks for the advise guys, Yep the problem i'm having is a intermittent fault with the immobiliser engine starts then cuts out, but NOT all the time.

To use that reader coil your car should be a chassis number 50-S-000719 onwards although if you have one fitted then it will work as the earlier reader coils were completely different.

It's the correct part, but depending on revision you may have to cut a plastic tab off the brown connector to allow it to fit onto your immobiliser box. The connector is three pins in an elongated D shape - there should be retention tabs top and bottom, but if there's one on the upright bit of the D as well then you just need to slice it off with a sharp knife. I nabbed a spare for mine from a Mk4 Polo in a scrapyard (cost me £2!) which I nearly fitted when swapping steering columns over, but it turned out to be tied into a load of the dashboard loom so I didn't bother in the end.

Be prepared to remove both halves of the steering column cowl and also the fusebox cover and footwell trim to allow yourself room to fit it - it'd be exponentially more awkward to do it without even though it's possible. Would make your life easier if you could drop the steering column as well but you may not want to drill out the shear bolts. I removed the spare from the Polo without doing any of this though :)

Stone

I have took the plunge and bought the reader coil, hopefully will cure the problem. Cheers for all your input guys.