DiamondTony

Replacing sunroof seal

Hi guys,

I need to replace my sunroof seal as the old one is leaking quite severely. I have the new seal ready to fit, but I'm unsure how to do this :(

Can anyone help?

Hello m8

im unsure as how to fit the seal but i have read that the seal itself does not stop the water getting in - it is more of a cosmetic item.

if you are getting water into the cabin i believe you need to check the drain holes & drain pipes for blockages as they let the water physically escape

yep the seal just finish's it off it does add some water proofing but its the gutter & drains which keeps your interior dry , if you want to know 100% exactly where its leaking from then remove the headliner and sit in the car while its raining or have some one with a hose running water on the roof or pour water from a cup/pint glass etc etc!

I recently found mine to be leaking from the plastic gutter into the sunroof mechanism track and then onto the headliner which is rare...

Hi buddy, thanks :) But my seal deffo needs replacing as it's stretched and warped due to a respray by previous owner so you can physically see the sky appearing through it lol!! I also have no inner sunroof cover etc, so basically I have the sunroof panel and then the interior of the car... fun times lol

---------- Post added at 2:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:49 PM ----------

But the seal is the only place it seems to be leaking from as there is no water in the rain channels or anything - fingers crossed it's just a seal issue!! But still need to figure out how to fit it... :/

The trick to replacing the seal is to warm it up first (ideal time of year for it!) and then superglue the starting point onto the roof panel. Then walk the seal onto panel whilst stretching it at the same time (the glue stops it moving). Then when the 2 ends meet, glue the end point onto the panel too. That will stop the seal moving at the seam over the different seasons. It's how VW do it. I think they also use a lubricant to aid fitment, but don't use oil or grease as it doesn't disperse. You could use fairy liquid but it has a lot of sodium in it, so make sure the panel isn't rusty!!

And finally, rub some silicon grease into the seal periodically and this will stop the flocked finish from rotting and crumbling off.

But as the others have said, it's not a seal as such, but rather a buffer strip to stop wind noise and keep big splashes out.

Nice one! I'll try get it on when I get the motor back. What else is on it then to stop leaking? Seems to be leaking through the seal only on mine so I'll need to check everything when I fit the seal. Do I have to take the sunroof panel out altogether?

What else is on it then to stop leaking? Seems to be leaking through the seal only on mine

so I'll need to check everything when I fit the seal. Do I have to take the sunroof panel out altogether?

nothing else , vw built the gutter/drains so your interior wouldn't get wet they knew a seal alone wouldn't be enough to keep the water out, as long as these are working as it should then just replace your seal as it sounds pretty shiddy,

the only way I know how to replace that seal is by removing the headliner and dropping the sun roof assembly from the car and then you have all the room you need,

I think you can get away with removing just the sunroof panel though not sure on that , either way I would recommend dropping the headliner and after you replace that seal don't fit the headliner until you have given it a good water/rain test as it will allow you to pin point any leaks...