scarlet_vr6

3 superb products

Parcel arrived from Polished Bliss (I'd recommend them esp. since they don't charge for delivery on any order size) this morning containing 3 new products for me to try out and I'm over the moon with all 3.

Auto Finesse Iron Out is my top new purchase. +ves are that it takes about a quarter of the time that claying does and I think it does a better job but -ves are that it's fairly pricey (although worth it to me for the time and effort I saved) and that it absolutely stinks! I'd recommend using it on a day when your neighbours are at work, wearing gloves and staying upwind! It's vile! I also don't think AF have got the bottle sizes right... choice is a 250ml spray bottle or a 5l can. I opted for the bottle and it says apply liberally which I did, but had to apply sparingly to the final couple of panels. Not sure how someone with a 4x4, for example, would manage. That doesn't detract from how good a product I think it is though!

I also tried Nanolex Reactivating Shampoo because I struggle with water spots. I really should buy a filter to solve this, but this shampoo claims to reduce the problem significantly due to a rinsing agent so I thought I might as well try it. Definitely helped and it has a lovely apple scent. Will happily use this again.

Lastly, I tried out Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish. Almost takes number 1 spot from Iron Out. Brilliant stuff. Removed the remaining water spots easily, and despite applying in direct sunlight which the instructions say not to do, it was incredibly easy to apply and remove. It's left the car with a shine I don't remember ever seeing on my car before and has hidden some of the swirls and scrapes. I know this is only covering up the damage, but it'll do nicely until I can afford a respray. It comes highly rated by Polished Bliss themselves - they use it regularly as part of their detailing service.

Edited by scarlet_vr6

For removing tarspots and stubborn muck you can use 3m's surface cleaner , its what we use when cleaning down a car for a vinyl wrap the tar litrally drips and runs of , and it gets rid of almost any grease , then you can dry it of with a rag and we usually heat gun lightly to maje sure its all evapoutated , and it smells nice to , you will be able to ask any questions you have about it if you ring a company called william h smith

Iron out or other Iron removers are excellent, but won't remove all surface contaminants that clay will. There are a couple of pics on my gallery showing Iron-X at work and it really is good stuff! The Iron Out does exactly as it says really, removes Iron and ferrous metal fallout that has been airborn. If you have a white or silver car, you may have noticed very small little rust spots all over the paint from time to time. This removes it all, and its amazing how much is actually on there!

The clay removes some of this, but also concentrates on other things like tree sap and carbon deposits as well as tar etc. Again tar remover will be better for what its supposed to be for, but clay is a great all rounder when you don't want or need to do a FULL decontamination of the paintwork.

Great write up though Fay, I've not used the Nanolex shampoos or any Blackfire Polishes tbh. I'll deffo look into the Blackfire when I need a new polish in the not too distant future! :thumbleft:

I'll amend the title to something less misleading in that case. I was only going on what the reviews say but it makes sense that it doesn't entirely remove the need for clay.

Thanks for extra info, guys.

Title now amended. I also meant to say that I had previously tried a sample of Iron X and thought it was great. The only reason I ended up with Iron Out instead is that I wanted to buy from Polished Bliss because of the free p+p and they don't sell Iron X.

Edited by scarlet_vr6

A girl who's interested in detailing products rather than just moaning about them - I think I'm in love! :lol:

I keep meaning to have a go at some Tardis/Iron X type products but I must admit I quite like claying, its quite therapeutic.

Fay if you're having trouble with water spots have you thought about using Optimum No Rinse? It takes a while to get your head around the thought of using it and put everything you've ever learnt about cleaning your car to one side, but it is an amazing product and pretty much all I use now :)

I reckon I have almost as many lotions and potions for my cars as I do for myself!!

I know what you mean about claying... for about 2 panels and then I start to get bored, which is normally followed by me dropping the stuff and getting cross with myself for wasting it! Tardis is great too. A friend of mine used to have a valeting business and he swore by it. The only time it has been used on my car was by him though, so I have no knowledge of how easy it is to use.

Nope, never thought about using Optimum No Rinse but that's because I've never heard of it! Thanks Jamie, I'll look it up.

I like the iron x, bought some a few weeks back and used it on my wheels, really shifted the stubborn bits i thought would never come off, i'd tried clay, polish, petrol, white spirits and even started trying to scrape them off with a stanley blade. Mine says "lemon smell", not sure what lemons they have but it stinks like egg, really pongs, i swear the neighbours can smell it :lol:

I like the optimum no rinse, but rarely use it. Worth having for certain situations but would rather a proper wash with waster and foam.

I have started using products from a local company who make their own stock in house. They're from Wakefield, Yorkshire and their products are the best I have ever used. I have a full range of their gear now and gave all my meguiars etc away! They do an Iron X type spray called Extreme Stance Iron contaminant remover. Works a treat - it does still stink, but it's PH neutral and can be used on wheels and the body work. If anyone is interested in testing out any products they apply a "try before you buy" attitude. They have a website if anyone is interested in looking into it http://www.inspired-automotive.co.uk (nothing like promoting small local businessed ;)). And they're really nice blokes too!

ooh interesting! I'll definitely have a look at that over the weekend, and as you say, always good to support small businesses! I'm sure I'll still look at Polished Bliss though, as I like the way they review the products they sell as well as give the std descriptions. They often have 'how to use' videos too which are very useful.

Oooo I love a how to guide :). Give them a look on the web buddy, they're really good value imo too - the iron x stuff they do is only £8 a 500ml spray, I started using it a few weeks ago when he developed it, and it made a massive difference to how clean my wheels looked (they're grey anyway so it's hard to make them shine). Combo'd it with some wheel wax and they're now really easy to keep clean :)