DiamondTony

Engine bay cleaning

Hi all,

I'm wanting to clean my engine and bay sometime in the future (preferably before VW festival) and was wondering what would be the best, cheapest and risk free way of doing it myself? I read a thread on this forum about GUNK degreaser, water and some tyre dressing to clean it?? And also CD-2 engine detailing kit? Are these actually any good?? I'll be doing my Golf MK2 engine as well as the bay, but my Corrado is undergoing an engine swap soon so I'll just clean the bay out while the old engine is out of it, and I'll polish the engine before it goes in :)

Thanks=s guys!!:afro:

Gunk and boiling water on the real greasy stuff are what I've used with good results. On the dusty, less oily bits I use an all purpose cleaner. Finishing it all off with a wipe over with AG tyre dressing.

That's just a basic method, but it Depends how far you want to go. I tend to stay away from Detailing World though, because it gives me a headache whenever I look for advice.

Ahh yeah cheers mate - I just basically want to clean the majority of crap off the bay and the main parts off the engine. Not bothering getting balls deep on it as it'll only get dirty and oily again! Just for shows and meets really so I can pop the bonnet and show what's under the hood!! (20vt :))

Moved. Autoglym machine cleaner is pretty good. If using a steam cleaner or water,foil is good to protect the electrics, as you can mould it around stuff.

Steam cleaner for the waxoyl

Or white spirit if you don't have access to a steam cleaner. G101 is great for general cleaning duties, rinse it off with a watering can and dry it off with old microfibres. Give the whole bay a liberal coating of Aerospace 303 and run the engine for 10 mins or so to dry it.

Or white spirit if you don't have access to a steam cleaner. G101 is great for general cleaning duties, rinse it off with a watering can and dry it off with old microfibres. Give the whole bay a liberal coating of Aerospace 303 and run the engine for 10 mins or so to dry it.

never tried Aerospace 303 what finish does it have when dried....? normally use autosmart ultratrim

I use Carpro Perl. Its very dilutable so goes a very long way. Excellent on all exterior and interior plastics at different ratios, as well as tyres too!

I use Carpro Perl. Its very dilutable so goes a very long way. Excellent on all exterior and interior plastics at different ratios, as well as tyres too!

Good shout Sean.