Adventure vans

Lowering springs or cheaper coilovers

What are people's experiences of using lowering springs with satndrd suspension on a VR6? And what make are best HR/eibach/apex etc. Is this a better route than the cheaper coilovers jom etc?

Thanks in advance

From experience, neither. The ride on standard suspension is great. If ride quality doesn't bother you then go for it.

Get some KW's ;) I have heard AP are ok for budget ones, but generally any suspension under the £500 mark i would be careful of, If i was you i would recommend a decent set of lowering springs for the same price as W8NK coilovers!

H&R seem to looks the best buy, as they are a high quality brand and prices start around 100 less than Eibach,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-R-LOWERING-SPRINGS-NEW-FOR-VW-MK3-Golf-and-CORRADO-VR6-/350833324047?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item51af4bb00f

Generally depends what you want, if u just want it slammed then get **** coilovers, if u want it to just sit a little better and driver nice then get decent lowering springs, if u want it slammed and to drive amazing then wait and save up for some sick coilovers (KW, Weitech, Spax etc...) Choice is yours!

Ill say what i always say, stay away from Cheapy cheap coilovers, they're turd ime. Best off going for shocks/springs if you cant afford coilies. HR Springs on Koni shocks is a good combo.

Personally I would say Eibach springs and standard shocks give the best compromise between looks and ride quality if you're on a budget.

Having said that, I have AP coilovers on my Alhambra and I have to say, it took me a long time to be convinced to buy "cheap" coilovers but so far they are great.

i had cheap coilovers on my first corrado and my golf cabrio, tbh I was always surprised at how good they were for the money. Ride wasn't too hard at all, tbh if anything both sets (one hot tuning, one raceland - prob both from the same factory!) could have been a bit stiffer.

my current corrado has come on koni shocks and springs and the ride is very good, very flat around the corners. However it is still a bit high for me and I want to go lower so when the time comes I'll have no qualms about order a cheap set off the bay....

Thanks for the advice so far. I don't want it slammed just to sit a little lower as I'm going to put 17s on it so may go for the H&R -30 springs. Used them before on other cars and always been happy.

Just upgrade the shocks too as lowered springs on standard length shocks, will kill the shocks.

Not necessarily always the case. I've run lowered springs on standard shocks on loads of cars with no detrimental effect on the life of the shocks. As long as you're sensible with your drop, its fine.

Don't get the JOM's I had them on mine for 200 miles an they snapped!! Utter sh**e!!

They're very, very cheap. Downsides for me are:

1) The spring rate is all wrong - the same kit fits he Mk3 Golf, Ibiza, Polo etc etc etc and the VR6 is too nose-heavy so the back shocks suffer

2) One of my rears is leaking after ~15,000 miles.

They do have a 2 year warranty but I'm only just inside it so will probably get bounced before it's sorted...

i'm now thinking about sticking with the koni shock / spring set up i have inherited due a) ride b) money and c) the back is prob only a bit higher than i would set coils to anyway

the front is far too high though so was thinking about just fitting some some lowering caps to get another 10-15mm. anyone know if these would fit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Golf-Mk3-Lowering-Spring-Caps-/151088808377?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232d9841b9

cheers!

Thanks for the advice so far. I don't want it slammed just to sit a little lower as I'm going to put 17s on it so may go for the H&R -30 springs. Used them before on other cars and always been happy.

The 17s could be as detrimental to the ride as the lowered springs, especially if you're running low profile tyres

I'll say what i always say, stay away ...

You might want to pick a better phrase :lol: