aaron-g60

G60 running problem........HELP

Hi guys n gals.

basically i brought a j plate g60 only a month ago. ive already had to have a powerflow exhaust made up as the original fell off. Then the charger belt snapped on the dual carriage way so ive have to replace the charger too (with a better one).......not going too well so far :(

The issue i have is tho that its running very rich and drowning its self (black smoke on idle and while driving and dies if left running on the spot for more than 15 mins), the previous owner had tried to solve this by replacing the dizzie, coil and throttle cable then ran out of ideas.

ive since replaced the leads and put in uprated plugs and had the timing re-done with no joy?

the car has no go in it what so ever, just plods along and splutters.

If any one has any answers to this or knows anything else i can try it would be much appriciated :)

Always wanted a g60, finally get one and its slower than the landrover i sold to get it :(

thanks for your time :)

Get a compression test done mate, and sort the timing out. Give it a full service. Check all the vacuum pipes for holes, and make sure the water isn't mixing with the oil. A good going over will take a few hours, but you should find the issue if you check all that out mate :)

If you were a little closer I would give you a hand checking it over.

A compression test would be my first choice if its smoking badly.

Checked the Lambda-sensor? Try disconnecting it to see whether the engine will run better again.

Tempest

Blue temperature sender, lambda sensor, and ECU vacuum hose are all potential culprits. Also, vacuum/boost leaks in general. Does it still have the carbon cannister and pipework? If so there are any number of areas that could be leaking.

If you look on the back of the throttle body you will see 2 vac pipes. One nipple is downwind of the throttle butterfly. The other is upwind. Make sure that the vac pipe that goes to the ecu is pushed onto the downwind side. Also check condition of this pipe and that it is exactly 1m long

swapped the vacuum pipes round (which had been replaced before i brought it), this seems to have sorted the fueling problem :)

Last thing left to sort is a droaneing noise im getting from the engine while driving?

would this be a cause of an uprated charger with standard air box and filter ? do i need to get a k&n panel filter?

Hi Aaron,

You don't need to get a K&N panel filter, and if you do get one it won't get rid of the droning noise. I have one and it's great (free-flowing and re-usable), but my drone is no less loud compared to an OEM paper filter...

The reason you can hear the drone more clearly than on a car with a stock charger is that your charger is spinning faster; the original pulley size meant that the charger was spinning at 1.5 times the engine speed - in musical terms that's a major fifth, which is a pleasant interval and one that your brain 'tunes out' very quickly, whereas with a 68mm pulley the charger spins about 30% faster, so close to twice the speed of the engine. If it was exactly twice the speed it would be an octave higher than the engine (and you probably couldn't tell the two apart), but it's not quite that fast, so you get a slight dissonance and, much more audibly, you get beat frequencies as the engine and charger go in and out of phase with one another, which results in the characteristic 'wob wob' noise that sounds a bit like wheel bearings on their way out (but the charger noise varies with engine speed, not simply wheel speed).

All of that is from memory, so apologies if I got it wrong, corrections welcome ;-)

Hi Aaron,

You don't need to get a K&N panel filter, and if you do get one it won't get rid of the droning noise. I have one and it's great (free-flowing and re-usable), but my drone is no less loud compared to an OEM paper filter...

The reason you can hear the drone more clearly than on a car with a stock charger is that your charger is spinning faster; the original pulley size meant that the charger was spinning at 1.5 times the engine speed - in musical terms that's a major fifth, which is a pleasant interval and one that your brain 'tunes out' very quickly, whereas with a 68mm pulley the charger spins about 30% faster, so close to twice the speed of the engine. If it was exactly twice the speed it would be an octave higher than the engine (and you probably couldn't tell the two apart), but it's not quite that fast, so you get a slight dissonance and, much more audibly, you get beat frequencies as the engine and charger go in and out of phase with one another, which results in the characteristic 'wob wob' noise that sounds a bit like wheel bearings on their way out (but the charger noise varies with engine speed, not simply wheel speed).

All of that is from memory, so apologies if I got it wrong, corrections welcome ;-)

brilliant info, its seems to be running prety sweet for now.

few more bits to do like the apexi seals in the charger and it should be a little pocket rocket.

thanks