Tigerfish

Engine Code?

Started work on my engine bay this evening and one of the things that needs sorting is a very minor leaking in places around the rocker cover gasket. When I try and get a replacement, they seem specific and are based on engine number (i.e. > ABV014001 for instance). Where is the engine code? does the plastic or metal rocker cover also make a difference?

Thanks

Engine code should be on the head or the side of the block .There are quite a few different gasket sets ,as they chopped and changed around a lot .

Thanks for the replies.

I believe the car has had an engine change at some point, so the sticker is probably wrong unfortunately :(

Any ideas where on the block/head the number is? I had a look around it last night, but not knowing if I'm looking for tiny letters under years of dirt means I could've looked straight past it. Plus of course, I may have to remove something to see it. This is where I am at now, anything else need to come off to find it? u7egaby5.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for the replies all. Stickers were gone on my cam cover unfortunately. However, did eventually find the code on the block, just below the head/block join above the aux belt. Not convinced that it would prove particularly useful as a definate id for the correct gasket though, as it does seem to depend on a plastic or metal cam cover. I believe they are interchangeable, so buy the gasket based on the cover type rather that any codes I would say. The flat gasket for the metal cover, the "T" cross section gasket for the plastic one.