A.passap

Possible engine mods to improve my valvers performance?

Hi everyone. I had recently acquired a 2.0 16v radio and was wondering what I could do to gain a bit more power and responsiveness from the engine. Any ideas?

First thing I'm going to try and do is the mod on the air box? I know this doesn't improve the power but I'm after the induction sound more than anything else with this mod... If anybody has any pictures of their air box after they've drilled it then this would be a help as I do

Nt wanna go too crazy with the amount I drill haha...

Second planned mod is a new exhaust system.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

Wouldn't bother with drilling the airbox mate. It'll make a load of noise but do not much else. A cold air feed with a standard paper filter will give you the best results. ABF or KR cams will give you decent gains though, and exhaust mods will add a touch more. Thats about it tbh.

Wouldn't bother with drilling the airbox mate. It'll make a load of noise but do not much else. A cold air feed with a standard paper filter will give you the best results. ABF or KR cams will give you decent gains though, and exhaust mods will add a touch more. Thats about it tbh.

Cheers Sean for the helpful advice....and I'm not going to complain on what engine is in it as I picked it up for only 350quid

If you haven't already, set ignition timimg, new plugs, HT leads, air filter, cam belt and tensioner and cam chain (gearbox end of the camshafts) to make sure that cam timing is spot on. Forget drilling the airbox, you will probably end up with warm air getting into the induction side and actually reducing power.

Best wishes

RB

350 ! That is a cheap radio !!

Seriously though pal if you want noise dont drill the air box , take the airbox out and remove the snorkel from the front of it it just taps out , that will give you the throaty noise your after , again kr cams are a good improvements on standards , im sure you can advance the timing aswell and an exhaust would help and i dont know if dg auto tech still remap them but they used to uou would have to look though. I dont think there are many 9a's producing amazing power without turbos or extensive work but them few at the top will get you started

350 ! That is a cheap radio !!

Seriously though pal if you want noise dont drill the air box , take the airbox out and remove the snorkel from the front of it it just taps out , that will give you the throaty noise your after , again kr cams are a good improvements on standards , im sure you can advance the timing aswell and an exhaust would help and i dont know if dg auto tech still remap them but they used to uou would have to look though. I dont think there are many 9a's producing amazing power without turbos or extensive work but them few at the top will get you started

Cheers redborbet and roger....big help. Gonna get started on it this week I expect. I hope so anyway. Will update as I make progress

One of the best mods I've seen was bike carbs to replace the metering head fuel system. Coupled with kr cams and a fair amount of ignition advance I've seen 180bhp on the rollers.

One of the best mods I've seen was bike carbs to replace the metering head fuel system. Coupled with kr cams and a fair amount of ignition advance I've seen 180bhp on the rollers.

That's good to know. I'm going a step further. Piper 294 cams, GSXR 750 SRAD throttle bodies, Wossner high compression pistons, SAAB 93 turbo bosch red top injectors, ported head, 1.8T fuel rail and FPR, 0.5mm overbore, ARP studs all round.

Should be interesting if I ever get the time to get in finished.

That's good to know. I'm going a step further. Piper 294 cams, GSXR 750 SRAD throttle bodies, Wossner high compression pistons, SAAB 93 turbo bosch red top injectors, ported head, 1.8T fuel rail and FPR, 0.5mm overbore, ARP studs all round.

Should be interesting if I ever get the time to get in finished.

294 cams!!?? That'll be "interesting" to drive in traffic............

Biggest cams available that can get squeezed in without head machining. The map will have to be written to try and keep it stable at idle but it'll not be the sort of car that'll get driven in traffic much.