eugopnosaj

Clutch/brake fluid leak nope heater matrix!!!

I've got a brake fluid/clutch fluid leak somewhere, I got out of the car to find my left shoe soaked, the pedal, and after pulling up the mat finding that the carpet is soaked...its not water, its odorless, oily and dries a bit tacky. Removing the tray under the steering wheel and the tray is wet and the foam saturated.

Peering up underneath and behind the dash the leak origin isn't clear. There is fluid build up underneath and around the where the clutch pedal goes through the bulkhead, it has splashed around the other pedals however the foam on the shelf is soaked and so is the foam stuck around where the accelerator cable goes through the bulkhead which doesn't make sense...

I'm not with the car right now so will post a picture in the morning.

I think its coming from the clutch master cylinder, I was still able to change gear and the biting point didn't seem to be any different. The only other sign was that with the clutch depressed there was like a 'sucking' air noise that would disappear when I pushed the clutch in...

Any ideas guys?

Edited by eugopnosaj

Hi I suspect it may be the master cylinder, possibly one of the seals for the piston. Fluid comes past the piston seal then runs down the push rod attached to the piston and down the linkage into the car. I had this problem with a mini back in the 80s. Check the level in the reservoir as it is shared with the brakes.

I'd already guessed that its the master cylinder. The level is good as it only started today. There's no linkage, the piston is attached directly to the pedal. The system for the mini is similar although the master cylinder sits vertically on the bulkhead rather than horizontally (I've been involved with minis a lot of my life ;) and my housemate has one we've been restoring).

The question I've got more relates to how easy is it to resolve as the master on the bulkhead doesn't seem too hard to get access to on the engine side but does it need to be removed and withdrawn from under the dash inside the cabin or from the engine side? Are the seals replaceable or would I need a new master?

Hi, Just checked on ETKA VW parts software it only lists the master cylinder and does not give any details of seals or any of the internal components or repair kits so I guess it will be a new cylinder unless any 3rd party has produced a repair kit.

Looking at Bentley I think it should withdraw from the engine side as the mounting flange is on the engine side of the bulkhead when disconnected from the pedal and the fluid lines are disconnected. Watch the pipe from the reservoir, if it is a hose rather than a metal pipe use a pipe clamp to prevent any fluid loss and air getting into the braking system.

Ok so turns out its not the master, after taking everything apart and driving it to work this morning its actually the heater matrix. The fact that it was dripping around the m/c and because its viscosity was similar to brake fluid that's what i was lead to believe (the anti freeze emulsifies in the water and makes it go oily). The fact it made an audible noise difference when i put my foot on the clutch - something that didn't happen before.

I could see the fluid running down the lh foot rest as there were no shelves fitted under the dash and as it was a bit chilly this morning I used the heater to clear the windscreen and there was a funny smell. Just as i got to work the coolant light came on - a typical sign of the heater matrix. I checked the passenger side carpet and its wet around the centre console - another telltale sign....

*sigh* looks like its a dash out job!