Sign in to follow this  
MoonlightVR

VR6 brake mods - any suggestions?

Has anyone got any suggestions on improving VR6 front brakes other than Brembos?

IMO it's the one major thing that lets the car down dynamically.

Thoughts appreciated!

288mm discs from a MK3 VR6?

thought thats whats on already???

Things to do on crap brake systems....

check condition of calipers - Seals ok? sticky?

Check condition of flexi hoses - are they splitting or showing signs of having been balooning?

Check condition of rear brake bias adjuster - usually they are seized to hell and can be leaving your have your rear brakes doing much less work than they could cope with

Check the handbrake - is it so stiff its sticking on, overheating your rears, taking their temp above the operating temp for the pads.

How good is the fluid? DOT 5.1, nice and fresh fluid......no air in the system...apparently you need to bleed abs systems with the ignition on for best results.

how good is the vacuum hose for the servo assistance - leaks will make the brake pedal much harder, with less bite.

If all these are in good condition, and you are still not happy, then replacing the OEM items with 'uprated' items is an option.....what u upgrade to is up to you.... and every one has their *own* opinion on what is *best*........ I have pagid fast road pads and zimmerman x drilled discs all 4 corners........really good on the road...but fade after about 10-12 minutes on the track.

HTH

288mm discs from a MK3 VR6?

thought thats whats on already???

ah-ha a very common misconception :wink: ............the 288mm brake upgrade was only to the Golf VR from Aug/Sept 95(aka 96M/Y),and seeing as Corrado production ceased prior to the 96 M/Y the Corrado VR never got them,any that have them have been retro-fitted :wink:

so whish is the difference between vr caliper carriers/calipers/discs and g60?? (appart from that which i know.....wheel bolts, banjo bolt at end of vr's flexi )

so whish is the difference between vr caliper carriers/calipers/discs and g60?? (appart from that which i know.....wheel bolts, banjo bolt at end of vr's flexi )

AFAIK nothing other than what you've mentioned :wink:

vr and g60 calipers and carriers are the same, just the bolt pattern on the disks thats different.

The 288mm brakes have the slightly larger disks and different carriers. The calipers are a different design that use banjo bolts on the hoses and the pads have a lot more surface area. 8)

Thanks for the responses guys. The brakes on my VR are running exactly as they should and are running Pagid grooved disks and Pagid pads all round (fitted by Stealth), but I'm still not happy with them. They just don't inspire confidence, certainly not in line with the performance of the car.

The 288mm brakes have the slightly larger disks and different carriers. The calipers are a different design that use banjo bolts on the hoses and the pads have a lot more surface area. 8)

Thanks Joe for this. Would you say the 288s are considerably better than 280s? I see that you're waiting to fit them, but in case you've already tried the out??

Cheers

Asim

Not fitted yet as im waiting on an adapter for 1 of my hoses. :mad:

Id imagine they will make a huge difference on mine though as the disks and pads I currently have are well worn. Problem with this is I wont be able to tell you how much better they are than good condition standard brakes. :?