Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

FRONT MOUNT I/C OR AQUAMIST?

start with the intercooler.

From what i can gather Water is good if the charger aint cool enough or if more timing is required or if its detting. water can subdue det and allow for more fuel but if it isn't needed can subdue the explosion.

kev may be able to enlighten us more on this as he has run it so has first hand on it.

id go for a better cooler first. doesn't have to be a Golf one you can use other cores but a U-bend and ascosiated bits are needed to do it properly. presentation to the throttle body from the cooler end can be done easily by cutting and using the left over hoses from the res box to the IC in pipe. it cost me 180 to do the full job. that includes factory u-bend and new gaskets n bolts for it and the samcos to finish the job. i was pretty lucky that my measurments were good fist time. i got a first attempt fit. it took around 6 hours to do all in all.

Yep, go for the intercooler first. Reliable constant cooling.

I'd be interested in people's experiences with water injection on the G60. Anyone here used this set up?

Yeah definitely use an intercooler because you'll have no 'artificial' cooling available if the Aquamist pump packs up.

They do an optional flow sensor now which sits in the water injector line and connects to a dash mount LED. It's a must have imo because if that light doesn't come on at WOT, back off! I didn't have that luxury with my kit and my pump had blown without my knowledge, and because the engine was a 16V Turbo and therefore had no knock sensing, the engine nearly pinked itself into an early grave.

Aquamist is a compact solution and ideal for supercharged VR6 engines as there isn't a lot of room for intercooling.

If you've already got an intercooler, even the pathetic little standard one, Aquamist is the icing on the cake.

The manifold remains stone cold after an hours hard driving :lol:

The best way to run it is 60/40 water to methanol in a resevoir from headlight washer equipped Cs. It's about 7 litres.

You can use neat methanol if you're lucky enough to have access to it, or just use some good screen wash, like Decosol which has a high methanol content.

The pump trigger is a MAP sensor and to avoid swamping the engine with too much water, you must configure it on a rolling road and then you can dial in LOADS more advance and fuel to capitalise on the super cool inlet charge temps.....

K

my u-bend was sourced for £80 with the standard hose to the intercooler. i agree it was a good buy. it was from awesome sourced for me by their friend H100VW (gav). this was in the day before front mounts on G60s became common which i expect has put the prices up somewhat.

i got

U-bend £80

gasket set with bolts was around 30 quid from the dealers.

core 600mmx160mmx40mm with alloy ends. ebay-£80

samcos-2 reducers for cooler -30 for pair

so ill correct that £220 in total. bits can still be improved but it works a damn sight better than the standard one.

i said this before but ill try n put some pics up so you can get a look.