Kempy

Toasted loom on my clocks

I've noticed my Oil Temp wasnt giving me a reading on my MFA.

I've read the old threads on here, decided to take the clocks out and noticed that 2 of the pins were nasty, then on closer inspection, the wires for the oil temp(i assume) are melted and burnt.

DSC_0415.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

When the car was in the bodyshop sometime when it was running smoke was coming from behind the clocks, so this is what that was probably.

Whats caused this and how can I prevent this happening?

Also, I bet fitting a new loom for this is fun?!

Thanks

Kempy,

a small setback

Had a couple of burnt Looms to deal with last year and it's definitely not one of my favourite jobs, the fuse box where all the looms connect to needs pulling out there is a couple of clips also there is two bars that need sliding out to release all the looms that plug into the fuse board, you may already know this but it took me at least an hour to figure it out myself so thought worth mentioning.

Good luck with it my car had been played with before and all the wires were tangled so spent a little extra time organising them and even went as far as labelling a few to make my life easier next time.

I've not played around with the back of the fuse board before so you tips should save me some time hopefully, why would it burn like this?

I've seen a loom on ebay so I'll need to buy that first. just disturbed by the fact its getting too hot

I think this is due to the earth leads not being able to handle the current/ resistance. I have had a similar problem with my headlight switch loom to fuse box. I have spoken to the electrical guy at work(I work in the Motorsport industry), and he's confirmed my suspicions. The answer is to upgrade the earth leads to a wire that can carry the current/resistance, and solder in an inline fuse to prevent any further damage. I think there is a thread about this for the headlight switch loom, or it maybe in the Wiki.

so get the new loom and put in an inline fuse on a upgraded earth wire whilst its off the car and whilst i'm at it do the exactly same for the headlight switch?

Yep, it's just poor earthing that, check the sensor contacts to the engine are clean and ok, most engine sensors earth through the engine so make sure these points are clean, make sure all engine earths are clean and upgrade the thicker cables to something new and a bit thicker.

Then the earths around the fusebox just make sure these are nice and clean and not loose so they can wriggle about.

Loom shouldn't be too bad to swap once you've got all trims off.

One of my favourite jobs is wiring oddly :D

Also another product I use is a preservation wax, it's a VW product, they brought it out for earthing problems on new cars, just clean contact areas and bolt everything back up then give a good coating in this spray and they won't rust again :)

I use it often and on my own mk2 G60 build and I never had any issues, even with a battery in the boot.

Part number is AKR 321 M15 4 - you might get an odd look if you try to order some but it's available and bloody good stuff

Matt