Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

cat question

If you have a car that is 1990 (so by law you don't have to have a cat) & you are doing an engine conversion from a car that is 1992 + ( that would have to have a cat) - would you have to put a cat on your 1990 car with it's new engine? or would you not have to have one??

At a guess I'd say no, but just wanted to know how everyone else stands on this?

Thanks

Dan

Theoretically MOT centres are supposed to perform the emissions test based on the year of manufacture of the ENGINE, not the car, but most don't. After all, who can prove that your engine was from another car anyway?

Tho in practice many modern engines can pass even the current emissions tests without the aid of the catalyst anyway.

Mines got a decat pipe and sailed through the emissions test!

it's only after 92 you need one mate

Just put my de catted G60 through the MOT and the tester wanted to know the year of the car (is has a private reg). I told him it was a 91 and he was happy as long as I could prove it. i.e. what did the V5 say? The V5 says first registered in 91 so all is hunky dory.

Interestingly the MOT tester had called the local dealership who had told him the car was a 94? Just goes to show how much they know! :?