Robaidh

MOT stripped from me is this possible?

Hi folks

I was on my way to a job in my vw corrado g60 1991.

when i was going to purchase the car it didnt have tax or mot so i paid for that before i went to pick it up. ive only had it a month so the mot is only a month old.

now i was on my way to a clients house when a police car came up behind me with their blues and wanted me to pull in. i got out to speak to them and the passenger police man came over to talk and before introducing him self or anything he told me to start my car. so i started it and he said turn it off it was on for no more than 5 secs. i didnt even manage to get my head out the car before he said turn it of. yes it was a little loud but i had just had the burst fixed yesterday by a qualified mechanic on a 2 poster ramp.the burst was where the manifold joins the exhaust system. its loud but not its not a standard system way quieter than a few scoobies so to speak.

the police man walked back to his car and said im going to write you a "PG9 Prohibition notice" for having no mot i said back straight away "it is MOTed i had it done a month ago" his reply was" you dont anymore ive just stripped it" my immediate reaction was no need to be a Prick he didnt have to be so cocky about it i didnt say that though of course.

I kept my cool and he took me into the back of his car and explained that he has stripped the MOT off my car because it has a hole in it somewhere. he said that their is exhaust fumes leaking into my car but he never even opened a door. now it is decat but its cat back its a 91 plate am i not right in saying its exempt from having a cat due to its age? I tried to argue my case but he threatened me with 3 points and a big fine. i didnt say anything but im 100% sure is was a boost hose that is a common mod on the G60 to remove.

all i want to know is where do i stand? if i manage to get the hose and reconnect it do i still have to get a re mot or what?

any help would be great

thank you.

DSC_0292_zps847751c6.jpg

Screenshot_2013-11-17-17-26-23_zpsfba1c23c.png

he has completely stripped my mot his words he says i need a full new mot, surley the exhaust only needs to be checked by a mot tester

I'm afraid I don't know the legalities but I would recommend heading over to the Pepipoo forums where there is a huge amount of advice and assistance on motoring issues.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/

Good luck.

thanks mate, i just feel he has been very harsh on me :(

Have you not seen in the press over the last couple of week's about police clamping down on modification's which have not been declared with insurer's?? This is just the start

Have you not seen in the press over the last couple of week's about police clamping down on modification's which have not been declared with insurer's?? This is just the start

hi no i havent however i have declared all mods

hi no i havent however i have declared all mods

Good man it is not worth the hassle not declaring. I know how you feel I got a ticket for my no plates when everything was saying they were legal even went round to local vosa and was told they were fine but unless you take it to court they know most people don't want the hassle have the time so they just pay the ticket :bad-words::bad-words::bad-words::bad-words::bad-words::bad-words::bad-words:

I would seek legal advice perhaps.

Usual thing to do if I were to live in Germany, hand such issues to your lawyers. Problem is most people do not have insurance against such legal issues to cover the cost of their solicitor. Do check your existing insurances, though, for example your own car insurance, and if legal cover is included, why not give them a quick ring.

Tempest

For what its worth, an MOT cannot be revoked.

Once it is issued - it is issued for its duration.

I was an MOT site manager up until a few months ago due to redundancy, but also I purchased a vehicle that had an MOT given to it a few weeks prior to me collecting it, only it should never have passed an MOT in a month of sundays (not that I understand that saying). After speaking direct with VOSA through my VOSA User ID I was informed that the MOT could not be removed / revoked - even if the testing station was examined and found to be passing dodgy tests. I was selling the car on as I did not have the time / space available to carry out the repairs required, but did not want to sell it with an MOT and risk the new buyers ignoring my warnings and driving it around - it was dangerous. However VOSA pretty much wanted to wipe their hands with it.

The MOT is purely for the "time of testing". In its most technical form that means that once a vehicle has left the station, it could have developed any fault and you cannot use the line "Its just passed an MOT".

In your case, I believe the officer involved probably used the wrong terms as is often the case, or does not understand exactly what he has issued.

From what I understand of this situation, is that the car has been issued with a notice that requires it to pass another MOT / test before the police deem it fit for the road. After the MOT test, it is the police who regulate the cars road worthiness.

I do however remember hearing a while back that you can have a garage repair the work / inspect the vehicle and a report from the garage also is accepted - however, I am not the authority on this - best to double check around.

Hope this has been of some use.

Did you get this sorted? Sounds harsh to say the least.

Not looked into it, but can police really issue a prohibition for an exhaust least with no evidence?