JMC

Anybody any experience with the new Land Rover Defenders

I'm looking to get a new vehicle mainly for winter use, but for work use as well, and am looking for some advice. I like the idea of 4x4s but only proper ones. I like and am edging towards the new Defenders, specifically a 90 as I need something relatively compact, and was wondering whether anyone on here has one, or has experience of one and can comment on what they're like to live with on a day to day basis for use on road and off. I'm booked in for a test drive early December, but any advice up front would be good.

My friend has a defender 90, think it is about 3 years old, & he uses it for a daily.

We went on a road trip to austria a few years ago & it made for a comfortable journey & was able to get 3 peoples snowboarding kit & suitcases etc on the roof rack.

he originally had an ex army defender for off road only & think he enjoyed that so much he got a new model so as could use for road & off road

i can mail him & ask for his thoughts on it & then post here if you like m8?

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear that thanks mate.

K m8, ive dropped him a mail about it & will post the reply i get for you

If you get a truckcab that is true but with a hardtop you can get fit mudrails that allow the seat further back giving you more room.

Alternatively get a doublecab 110.

Ive worked on and built offroaders for about 17 years. Landrovers are a great bit of kit, and are awesome offroad when tricked up - but be aware as std they have open diffs so only 2wd with the centre diff lock in.

Depending what you want the vehicle for there is alot choice to be had .The whole landrover range bar freelander in my view is a decent platform. jap is also good you get alot more toys for your money too

Where are you located? Might be worth trying a few different types to see which you like

Edited by winchbietch

If I do go for one it'll be the 90 hard top. 110 is out of the question because of the lack of space to park it, and as I'll be using it for business I need one with seats in the front only (commercial company vehicle), so that leaves the 90 hard top (also it need to have panels in the rear side not windows to be classed as a van). Thanks for the info on the leg room. It looks as though there is plenty available to modify these with which is good. I'm based near J13 of the M25, but must admit my hearts set on the 90 so if I enjoy it I think I'm going to go for it with the knowledge that I'll have to mod it a bit.

You could put one way tinted glass conversion to the rear quarter pannels if ur keeping it as a front seat only it should remain commercial- great visibility and takes it away from "the farm truck" stereotype. If you want to try a few different 90 spec'd landrovers feel free to drop into nene overland located in Ailsworth outside peterbrough, have a hundred or so on site you could take for a spin.. tdi, tdci, v8's 3.2converted ones

Paul

Edited by winchbietch

Ah, so you're at Nene are you? If I get chance I'll come over, before I do the test drive, however I'm travelling a lot between now and Christmas, so will have to see when I can fit it in.

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear that thanks mate.

sorry for the delay, my friend was out of the country

his brief thoughts are below m8.....not sure if they are helpful or not tho lol

'What can I say about the defender? For me it is THE tool for the job. That said it’s not everyone’s cup of tea for an everyday motor. Has he had a defender before? I can say that my new one drives a million times better than the old one, but it is still a defender and not the height of comfort!'

Well, I went a test drove one today, and it was a million miles away from the Corrado (as expected), but I loved it and put down a deposit to buy one. Only issue is it'll probably be April 2014 before I get it, given the lead time at the moment. Looks like it'll be the Corrado over another winter then, when it finally turns into winter...