Sign in to follow this  
rakete

SPRING CUT DOWN

Hi people, I'm not to good with tuning a car that's why I,m asking this question.

Can I cut down 2 1/4 inches off of the stock spring of my corrado g60 ?

if yes ,can I use the stock shocks.

if not , why not ,what could happen if I do?

thanks PAUL

I wouldn't do it if I were you paul it is very much a bodgers way of lowering your car it may look slightly better but the reallity of it is that you would permanantly be sittng on the bumpstops, you will shag your standard shocks out 10 times faster than normal and it wont really help the handling at all. If you want to go cheap get a set of second hand lowering springs and a set of shortned and stiffened shocks if you want to go lower than 30mm as going lower than this aint recomended on standard shocks you can get a set of springs out of the classifieds for next to nothing as the corrado G60 setup is exactly the same as the golf mk2 & 3 gti's or you could wait till inters to pick up a real bargain. Thats my opinions on the matter anyway

best thing to do if money is tight is to just buy a set of lowering springs......though it will always be a compromise at least its better than chopping the springs

please never cut the springs i have seen bad things happen when people have done this on mk1's...

Plus, it will invalidate your insurance.

It is an illegal modification to the car - and if something was to happen to you (accident with another vehicle, or you just lose control) your insurance company will have nothing to do with you, you will not get any money, you may get fined for driving illegally, do not pass go, etc etc.

Is it really worth scimping on?

please never cut the springs i have seen bad things happen when people have done this on mk1's...

I'm sure the pro's ;) could do a decent job but for someone who:

I'm not to good with tuning a car
I think they should steer well clear of what is, as has been said, is a bit of a quick-fix way to lower your car.

I think they should steer well clear of what is, as has been said, is a bit of a quick-fix way to lower your car.
THANKS PEOPLE!!!!!

I will have many more questions in the future ,be patient with me ,I'm a begineer jaja!!! PAUL :D

I wish more ppl would put details like where they are in the country etc. just out of interest.

I was told of someone that used oxy/accetalene to heat the springs to loose thier tension and lower the car! It wasn't long before he had to change the springs :lol:

People eh!!

Knowledge is power, a little knowledge is dangreous!

i would hope that no PRO would ever even consider cutting springs down. i certianly WOULD NOT !!