pacifica112

Engine swap suggestions

Hi everyone. I have a corrado vr6 that has started burning oil which we think is either a piston ring that has gone or a cylinder gone slightly oval. Now I have been reading up what to do and pricing bits up and it looks like it will be easier and possibly cheaper to go for an engine conversion. What I'm wondering is what engine to go for? I want to keep on the v6 route but I'm just wondering what engine fits? I know the 4motion v6 out of the bora and golf fit but what about the passat 4motion (amx engine code) can anyone please help me?

Thanks

Neil

It is still possible to buy 2.9 bottom ends or consider buying a 2.8 VR6 (which are plentiful for £100) and have it rebored and using your pistons with new rings.

Both could be considerably cheaper than a 24v swap

engine conversion isn't straight forward as such and I wouldn't recommend you paying someone to do it for you unless your happy with the price they say they can do it for, your better off just replacing the engine like for like and renewing things like timing chains and guides, thermostat housings/distribution pipe, clutch etc etc which you should also do if you went ahead with an engine conversion, I done the 24v swap myself last year its not overly hard especialy with the help of this forum and the internet but I would not pay some one to do it, I think the Passat v6 isn't a vr6 like in the golf/bora , its mounted the other way in the engine bay ,anyone confirm??