Kempy

damaged wires, repair/solder/crimp? pics

Tidying the looms in the bay. And come across this? What's the best thing for me to do? Thanks

theses are looms for engine sensors on the block

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

Edited by Kempy
added pics

I posted on my mobile it's a pain to get them to load on a thread. I'll get it posted on my pc later.. Thanks

Oh yuck, the straight pieces need a new length soldering in and heat shrink tubing over the section, the ones near the plugs really need new plugs or second hand plugs with a good length of wire to solder onto

I've not re done a plug before, I assume you bare the wires as you would a spade connector or similar but have no idea with these?

same sort of idea, theres a crimp that goes on the bare wire and another that gets the insulation or rubber seal

proper crimpers do it all in one , if you plan to be around old vw's for a while its worth getting the proper crimpers

moped018.jpg

You don't need the crimpers if you are only going to do this less than 50 times!!!

a pair of long nose pliers will crimp well enough so that you can solder them,

you can also reuse the old ones,

to remve old connector pin you need an extractor tool or you can make one up with the thin bit of metal found in wiper blades,

Cut metal about 10cm long, bend a 180 degree in the middle, file the two end sections so the end up about 2-3 mm wide,

this then fits either side of the connector depressing some lugs (pictured left of the crocodile clip on the above picture) therefore allowing the pin to be extraccted

To can reuse the old pin, just cut the old wire as close to the connector as possible,

strip 3-4mm off the end of the new(old) wire, twist the strands, then tin the wire with solder,

refit the silicone rubber sealing boot in the connector so that the tinned wire rests on top of the old crimped section,

Then simply solder the wire to the connector,

cheers

Steve