Goldie

VR Starter Motor removal (Picture Request Page 2)

Im after some definitive information on removing the starter motor on a VR6..

Ive read bits and bobs about supporting the engine, bits that could need replaced at the same time etc and before i take it off id like to know exactly what the score is..

Anyone took theirs off, changed it and have any details?

Edited by Goldie

hello m8

my VR had a new starter fitted whilst i was at stealth, it only took them about 20 mins ish.

i think it simply unplugs & then a couple of bolts hold it in & possibly have to nudge a hose aside to get it out

I took mine off to clean and paint it, pretty straight forward. There is a cable clip on the top bolt that was a bit fidley if I remember correctly. Might not be a srtaight forward job working from underneath though. My front end was off which made it easier.

It comes off on its own though.

Yeah its easy goldie disconnect the battery first though, people said to be support the engine but I didnt. But knowing that the engine could move slightly and make getting the bolts to line up harder id support the front mount just to be on the safe side.

Think its 2/3 long bolts that need undoing they go straight through into gearbox, as said a bit fiddly but easy enough

While your in there goldie clean up the contacts on the starter cable (battery to starter motor) with some sandpaper and check for any green corrosion on the cable at the ends, that was the cause of my starting issues recently

Could someone be so kind as to take a picture of the tope of the starter motor or more importantly the wiring going to it please?

Im trying to tidy up all my cabling in that area and as my original fan set up has gone it is a little different..

I'll fire up my laptop soon and post some pics, I've got quite a few from when I stripped mine.

There may even be some on my members gallery thread.

Try page 24

Edited by ChrisL

Could someone be so kind as to take a picture of the tope of the starter motor or more importantly the wiring going to it please?

Im trying to tidy up all my cabling in that area and as my original fan set up has gone it is a little different..

Are these any good. Pic taken when I had mine replaced. I bought a genuine one from TPS a while back and they did it on an exchange basis. Not sure if VW dealership will do the same worth a try.

Edited by VWVW

Yip, they did the job nicely gents..

Ive ordered a new starter and some other bits and bobs. I couldn't find a number for the bottom bolt so have ordered a top one (the long one).

I wonder if the starter will be all black like the one above? Ill find out by wednesday..

I did mate…

On the picture front… I need to see what cable bolts onto the long starter bolt and which path it takes. I think i know the one (comes across from in front of the engine itself and is inside a cable sleeve). Does it pass inside the plastic cable holder (that bolts onto that long bolt itself) or does it go another way?

The starter motor will be exactly like the one VWVW posted a picture of then. Expensive from vw arnt they had the pleasure of ordering one recently at least its on an exchange basis. As for the cables if i get time tomorrow ill put one up as long as the wiring for the spal fans isnt in the way. Cant remember if OSV put d&g fans on this car (slimline spal fans)?

Yes it has slimline fans. They look lovely but it doesn't have the big motor to hide all this to underneath. Its been an area if cabling that has needed some tidying so now is a good time. Ive used 2 roles of loom tape with the work I've done so far and I'm not finished.

If you get the chance Jon that would be great. I know I'm being being picky but thats part of the fun….

Thanks very much Jon.. Yes that clears some stuff up..

I collected the new starter today, it looks lovely and just needs a lick of silver paint on one end to make it perfect. The dealer thought i was mad when i said there was nothing wrong with the old one..

Edited by Goldie

I got that look when asked at Ingram in Ayr "Is it a VR6" no mate it's an R32 :shocked!:....... after all we are all a bit mad Micheal but it is an enjoyable madness when thing's come together.