jonnykillpop

Vr6 isv adjustment?

Should ISV on a VR6 be totally closed when disconnected or partly open. Adjusted mine a while back, slightly open, which did need at time, was dying a bit when going back to idle but had pretty much all new sensors, coilpack MAF etc. everything running lovely now but MPG has dropped to bout 19 -22 and I'm thinking ISV probs need setting back now but can't find anything on basic setting, couple of things on G60 but even on that some are saying totally closed, some slightly open.

The ISV on my VR looks partially open when looked at removed. It has in fact gone over closed and the gap you see is the 'wrong side' of the shutter. If you try and open it with a screwdriver it needs opening the opposite way. I assume when energised it moves to its proper closed state as required. The screw is set at factory so I would leave alone.

Cheers, that's where mine was originslly I adjusted the gap to other side just by ear as it did run and did'nt stall like this but reckon that's because it was probs knackered anyway or as was'nt running right at time, now is after replacing knock, crank, cam sensors, coilpack etc. Either way fairly moot point as adjuster is now chewed and can't adjust back so new ISV I reckon.

They are supposed to be open. They never fully shut. To adjust it means digging out the resin around the adjustment screw but I really wouldn't recommend that. VW leave a gap for a reason, in case the valve fails. It's not the reason for stalling. That is usually always caused by the MAF if everything else is OK.

Yep I dug it out and adjusted it, and it did cure stalling but reckon that's cause it's either been bust in first place and adjustment compensated for it or other stuff not working properly and compensated for that. MAF was fine, got new one anyway but old one working fine, so have spare at least, new coilpack, Beru 10mm leads, cam, crank, lambda and knock sensor all improved it, Some companies selling a LOWE ISV for 35 on ebay, can they be any good at this price as other are like 200?

Could I drill the adjuster screw out and fir new one if mine is OK but just can't be adjusted back as screw stripped?