petemcr

Possible Over tightened Headbolts

Really stuck on this one, so any help would be great

I've used a friends torque wrench to torque up the cylinder head bolts, asked for advice of my mate who works in a garage as he had used the same wrench on a ABF 16v engine, which I believe is the same torque settings as the VR6,

so I rang him up and asked him and he said go off the settings given on Autodata (40nm, 60nm, then 180 degree turn or two 90 degree turns) and said it's on the front, sure enough it is but it's foot pounds, I think it's metric as it has M on the rear and it's in 1.2, 1.4 etc...

The bolts are in, and possibly over tightened, I don't know if he knows he has done the same on the ABF but I want to know how much trouble I am if they are over tightened, I know they're stretch bolts but is this over stretching them and if I try to run the engine will it snap the bolts, or will they be fine, will it have warped the head even though I did them in sequence or should I just pull them out same order I put them in and order a new set and try it with another torque wrench in NM to be sure.

Also using a elridge metal headgasket on this which I know are thinner than the old cork style ones, not sure if that will make any difference. Any help would be great

I wouldn't worry about it. The difference between pound foot and Newton metre is about 35%, but its the two 90 degree rotations that really do the stressing and straining. As long as you haven't bottomed the bolts out in the block (which would cause the bolts to shear off), and you have done them up in the correct sequence working from the middle outwards, you should be ok. The advice is to lighty lubricate the threads and both sides of the washer under the bolt head before insertion into the block.

Best wishes

RB

I wouldn't worry about it. The difference between pound foot and Newton metre is about 35%, but its the two 90 degree rotations that really do the stressing and straining. As long as you haven't bottomed the bolts out in the block (which would cause the bolts to shear off), and you have done them up in the correct sequence working from the middle outwards, you should be ok. The advice is to lighty lubricate the threads and both sides of the washer under the bolt head before insertion into the block.

Best wishes

RB

Cheers man, I was ready to get a new set of bolts and start over, glad I don't have to now