petemcr

Timing help/cam sprocket fitting.

Anyone got any advice on refitting the cam sprockets after a headgasket replacement,

I've managed to time up the engine, so that the notch on the intermediate sprocket is showing, engine is at TDC and marked up and the cams have the plate locked in to them, I fitted the sprockets finger tight and fitted the cam cover/tensioner to test the timing was right, turned it over two turns of the crank and checked the cams and the timing plate went straight back in no problems. So I've torqued them up, problem is there's no slack between the two sprockets but it seems like the chain is slightly slack on side where you would have the dizzy and no so much on the side with the tensioner where you would expect it to be loose so that the tensioner can take the slack out.

I removed them and started back over and have managed to get tension on the dizzy side but now the timing doesn't match up. Should there be any slack on the dizzy side at all? or should the tension bolt take that out of it once the engine is turned over?